Author Topic: easy Windmill made from Snow Shovels?  (Read 4084 times)

Wabbit

easy Windmill made from Snow Shovels?
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
Watched video.  So simple I could easily build it except for figuring out how much 3000 watts will run & what to connect to the generator?  Car battery? Inverter?  duh!  Mechanics & electrical stuff is beyond my knowledge stash.
 :-\

http://blog.survivalfrog.com/weird-way-snow-shovels-will-make-free-energy-year-long/?rfsn=88750.a96ce&subid=main062516energy
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

RevJammer

Re: easy Windmill made from Snow Shovels?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »
I've seen that before...  would love to test it out at some point....

RJ

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »
Watched video.  So simple I could easily build it except for figuring out how much 3000 watts will run & what to connect to the generator?  Car battery? Inverter?  duh! 

All that is real easy.

Amp times Volts equals Watts.
or
A x V = W
150 x 12 = 1800
And based on basic math

A x ? = ?
or
? x 12 = ?
or
? x ? = 1200

So figure you need 1200 watts.  You have 12 volts and thus need-- ? x 12 = 1200  makes you need 100 amps.

remember that and its really kinda simple.

and most everything should have a label on it detailing what it needs as far a wattage.

Now let those with real electrical knowledge jump in and teach me the error of my ways on this and get it right for you.

Nemo
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:48:59 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
I researched wind power 3 yrs ago when I moved to the farm.  Georgia doesn't have enough consistent strong wind to make it feasible unless things have changed drastically since I looked.

Somewhere I found a wind map that gives you the average over the whole country.  Check it out.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Wabbit

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:12:39 PM »
I actually checked into this also as a supplement to hydro & solar, not as sole power provider.  My research for my particular county on https://www.windfinder.com/   showed average is 12 knots  annually & it's my understanding that 10 knots is minimal justification for "wind mill" .  On this map of GA, I'm in the pink (good section) - http://windeis.anl.gov/guide/maps/map2.html
The back side of my property is at the top a ridge which is pretty much always breezy.  So for the price of 4 snow shovels plus finding a used generator, why not?  Definitely would not recommend windmills for any other place in Georgia but Reg. 2.   The nice thing about this particular one is that it certainly shouldn't be noisy.  A friend of mine in Montana has 3 near her ranch and complains all of time about the noise as well as mud slides caused by putting them in.

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

wiseguy

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 07:02:44 AM »
My parents live in Illinois in the farming belt where tehre are a lot of windmills.  No real noise complaints, but the people do complain that the power is sent to Chicago and doesn't support the local power grid. 

I have toyed with the idea of adding hydro and wind to my power options.  Both seem out of reach in my current location.  Not enough wind, and the stream behind my house is technically in someone else's property and doesn't have enough drop to build the head pressure for generating power.  I am keeping it in mind for a future home sight.   :)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
BennyMG1  This is for you.  When I saw this video I thought of your system and what a good fit it would be.

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 04:39:23 PM »
Yes, I saw that. Very interesting
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal