Author Topic: How hard is it to learn sewing machine?  (Read 5296 times)

Lilburner

How hard is it to learn sewing machine?
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
I don't want to make clothes - just a big long stretch.

I'm building an awning for my trailer that involves mounting a piece of channel, then sewing a length of rope into the hem of a tarp and feeding it into the channel.

I have a seamstress I use for my business who would do it for not much, but I'm thinking that would be a good skill to have or at least evaluate myself on. Of course it doesn't have to be pretty. Just one long stitch about 12 feet long. when I see people doing it on youtube and TV, it looks like the machine is controlling the speed - is that the case or do you have to feed it? If you feed it, is that an important skill you learn or more or less easy?

I have a machine from  thrift store. I don't know if it's a good one or not.

Oh while the looks wouldn't matter, the "trightness" of the "tube" - the part encasing the rope would be important. Someone said "It needs to be done with a narrow foot, in order to get the stitches as close as possible to the rope."

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:32:51 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

Re: How hard is it to learn sewing machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
It's not to hard to learn. You control the speed and if you want a good seam use a French seam. That will enclose the seam, less chance of it coming lose. Just go slow and practice on some scrap pieces.

What type of machine? Some machines work better for heavy duty fabric.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
Pfaff?

Pfapf?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
That is a good machine, what's the model? The first thing you need to do is replace the needle. Find out which type your machine takes and depending on the fabric http://www.sewitworks.com/needle-guide/fabric-needle-thread/ . Remember you will need an outdoor thread since your awning will be out in all types of weather.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »
Lilburner,years ago I used to make my own clothes and if I were you, for this awning that you want to last - pay your friend to do it- she most likely has the commercial machine that will 1)get that channel good and snug and 2) go through several thicknesses of canvas or cotton duck (whatever you are using).   While many home machines will DO it, they won't do much of it without burning up or breaking a bunch of needles.  I assume that once the channel is done, you'll want the edges to look decent & that's at least 2-3 thicknesses of material. 

It's also a good idea to spend some time playing with yours - you can mend your jeans when you rip them up while plowing!  Bring it to the campout if you want and I can help you get it threaded and give you some sewing tips for easy things in a very short time.  Bring all the accessories with it, bobbins, extra 'feet', etc.  We can cover most of it in an hour or so. 
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
Pfaff ClassicStyle Quilt

Doesn't have any of the stuff I assume came in these holes.

The power cord is standard. The footswitch (I'm assuming what that is) appears to be a binary affair, meaning I can use any footswitch

~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:37 PM »
1)  That looks like it could be a 'quilting foot' on it - but it's hard to tell.  If it is, it won't sew well for regular stuff.  You will need at least a regular foot  & a zipper foot for close work.  I'll bring some of my Bernina feet (since a quick parts check looks like they might fit_so you can see what they do.  If we check it out and it's worth it, you can usually buy basic feet for less than $30-40 each & there's a Pfaff shop in Alpharetta.  Yeah, most of those holes usually contain different feet.  Each one has a different specialty although for years I used just the 2 I mentioned to do almost everything.

2)  Does the top have a 'stick' that pulls up for you to put a spool of thread on?  Or does it come off a spot on the back?

Pfaff (the P is silent) is the German competitor to my Swiss Bernina. (Kinda like arguing over Bentley v Rolls).   Excellently made, usually high-end machines and long lasting if not ridiculously abused.  When I bought mine we decided that I sewed enough to go for the gold. 
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

lets_prep

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
When I bought mine we decided that I sewed enough to go for the gold.

Yup I've got my mom's hand-me-down machine. It's a 1130 manufactured in 1986.
Region 7

Nemo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
Talked with my wife about this.  She sews alot.

She says:

1. Sewing is not as easy at it looks.

2.  The foot pedal is normally a gas pedal.  The more you push the faster it goes.

3.  Do not get a finger or more likely a thumb under the needle.  It will make you bleed and hurt alot.  That is easy to do. Again, do not do it.  Blood on your material is hard to get out when you are sewed to it.

Also, that machine pictured seems to be a rather light duty machine.  12 feet of a couple layers of canvas will likely burn it up.  If it makes it that far.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal