Author Topic: Good battery source in Metro ATL, a current deal, and a weird obeservation.  (Read 3761 times)

Lilburner

I've heard people in ARES and Ham Club talk about a place on Buford Highway in Gwinnett called Voltex as a good source for batteries. What I hear is "Call them up and ask if they have any blems or seconds". After hearing a guy going up there the other day and getting a 90ah AGM for $75, I decided I'd try my hand. Apparently most of the blem deals are one offs, and you don't know what you'll get.

I told them I was looking for an AGM between 75 and 150ah. He said they 79ah for $69. ($300-ish some places). Sold! I went up  there and got two. they have two pallets of them, so they should have them for a while if you're in the market.

It's $11 more if you don't have an exchange, but you can keep your invoice and bring back your exchange at a later date.

The weird observation is that all the batteries in the distribution center are unbranded. They stick the brand name on them in the shipping area. I saw labels for Deka, Duracell, AAA, Champion, and a few others. Kind of throws brand loyalty out the window for batteries!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SS-Preppers

Re: Good battery source in Metro ATL, a current deal, and a weird obeservation.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
Lilburner - can you post a pic of the batter........what is the voltage and general dimensions?

Country Singer

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the ATL.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:40:40 PM »
Lilburner - can you post a pic of the batter........what is the voltage and general dimensions?

They're Type 24. The two as shown are 11x13x9, so 11x6.5x9 (roughly - just slapping a tape on and rounding). Type 24 might be an exact spec. Note the no labels.

These have a funky female terminal, which I later realized for jumpering them together is actually a plus, the cables and eyelets can lay flat.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the ATL.

I could bring a few to the campout, if you wanted to PayPal and not do a core exchange.

Beyond a few, though,  I'd have to start thinking about weight since I'm towing. So I couldn't bring like 10.
~ Daniel Webster

wiseguy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »
What qualifies them as "2nd's".  I assume that voltage and amperage is still good for these batteries.  Hoping its just damaged (but not leaking) packaging. 

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:22:19 PM »
According to the guy I bought it from, either cosmetic imperfection or 18 months since manufacture. Being highly specialized and available in considerable quantity, I'm assuming this batch are the latter.
~ Daniel Webster

SS-Preppers

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
Type 24 means that it is a 12 volt deep cycle.........

There are like 7 or 8 different "Types" for 12 volt deep cycle......so if you know the type then you know approximately what you are getting........

I will give them a call.......I need some Type GC2 for my Golf Cart.........

BTW - that is a killer price for Type 24 AGMs.........I am pretty sure the ones you got are marketed as MK Battery, Model E27SLDA.......that's a 92 ah, 12v that goes for a good $300+ retail..........they are made by East Penn who also makes Deka (the gold standard in most battery categories in my opinion)....

SS-Preppers

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »
Ok.....I called them......they are owned by East Penn.........hence the labels laying around........

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
Two notable labels missing were Interstate and Die Hard, so I guess they make their own, and these people make everyone else's?

Did they have what you needed?
~ Daniel Webster

SS-Preppers

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
Two notable labels missing were Interstate and Die Hard, so I guess they make their own, and these people make everyone else's?

Did they have what you needed?

As I understand, there are only a handful of battery manufacturers...........for cranking batteries you have about 3 companies and for deep cell there are 3 or 4 (with some overlap)..............they started out as separate companies, but have been bought up over time to consolidate.

Yes......they did have the batteries I was looking for, but no 2nds, so I can still get them cheaper from Batteries Plus.

For what you paid for those 24s I am temped to get a couple for a solar project.

Good looking out for such a deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal