Author Topic: Survival in NC  (Read 9020 times)

bluewolv

Re: Survival in NC
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »
@stvr thank you for that! great place to start. I learned from trying one of those dehydrated soup rations that I'd rather have regular food first. Or dandelions.  LOL <3

@Lilburner - hmm.... I saw a post earlier that said there are 70k people waiting. When I signed up, I was #32701 and it took a couple of weeks. Are you on Twitter? If so, maybe you could DM @getongab and see if maybe they can help you out since it's been a while?

Nemo

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes!  I guess I just need to figure out where to even start! Should I be stockpiling or learning to forage? LOL Any advice for dummies would be most appreciated! <3 K

Get a jar of peanuts, box of raisins, and bag of MMs.  Mix together and take 3/4 cup mixed measure out into ziplock bags.  One ziplock bag is about my ration for a meal.  Put 2 in a sack with half roll of TP and your good knife on your belt.  Heavy jeans and long sleeve shirt.  Compass in your pocket and a 20oz bottle of water along with a fire starter/spark stick thing in another pocket.  A good metal cup and you are all set.  A map of the area (woods not so much roads) and familiarize yourself with using/reading/locating stuff on it first.

Leave Saturday morning and go to your cousin/neighbor/friends farm and up on a mountain not far out back.  Come home Sunday afternoon.  That will quickly tell you how much you remember, a good area to re-read and some things you need to look into learning. 

Get up the mountain early so you can have the rest of the day and next to contemplate anything in your life that needs it.

Try really really hard to not set the mountain on fire.  Lots of people will get mad at you if you do that.

I am getting involved with an Appalachian trail hiking group.  Lots of fun and lots of time in the woods.  Lots to learn too.  Might try that.  Help get you in shape too if you (just like me) need it.

Do this before it gets real cold.  Or wait till spring.  I would feel really bad if you went out there and froze to death and got ate by a bear or coyote or something.

Nemo

http://www.meetup.com/Roanoke-Appalachian-Trail-Club/
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

bluewolv

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 04:50:04 PM »
Thanks Nemo - You're right I do need to start learning to be outside & that sounds like a good approach...a little bit of an immersion at a time . (Gawd I hate waking up wet and cold in the morning though!!) I guess I'd rather wake up wet than not at all .   ;)

I have a coyote den about 200 yards from my front door, so I guess if I need to practice fighting off wildlife that won't be a problem.  ;D

Nemo

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
Tell me where you live. I would love to come down and make something from a skin or 2.

Addy is all I need.  Anything else I already have and it would take me an hour to load up and head south.

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Yearntobefree

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 11:38:18 PM »
So is most everyone on this board in Georgia? Is there a group in NC that works together on prepping issues?

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 02:10:17 PM »
Yes, most of us are in Georgia. When we started their were only a few in Georgia. So you have the opportunity to start out. Talk to your friends that are preppers, have them join the site. Once you get started it build pretty quickly.
The site is for the entire region which includes NC. So welcome again.
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Nemo

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 10:52:44 PM »
I was in Ga.  Moved back to Va.  Now there.

Nemo

bluewolv

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
Tell me where you live. I would love to come down and make something from a skin or 2.

Addy is all I need.  Anything else I already have and it would take me an hour to load up and head south.

Nemo

Cool - I know the folks with livestock and of course those of us with pets would be glad to be rid of them. One of my neighbors killed a pup a few weeks ago. Another neighbor found a pup sleeping in his carport but they scared each other and it ran away.  I haven't heard them in a little over a week. They tend to move around the countryside...next time they are back in the neighborhood I'll look you up!

Here's a pic I got of one of them hanging around. It was watching me while I walked my dog and it made me feel pretty uncomfortable. This was the first time I have ever heard them or have seen them out in the daytime. They seem to get more and more bold every time they come back around.

this is the view from my front porch (the den is down in an embankment behind the barn):
https://i.sli.mg/hkUiEn.jpg

and the brown blob here is a coyote:
https://sli.mg/fgRSA0

A little bit too close for comfort. I'm 99% sure they are responsible for my favorite feral cat and her kittens going missing :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:51:24 PM by bluewolv »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal