Author Topic: Canning lids for commercial jars?  (Read 5277 times)

Lilburner

Canning lids for commercial jars?
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
I do a lot of my own cooking, but just being me, I rarely cook the labor intensive sauces and such.  And since I'm not a huge vegetable eater, about half my vegetable intake comes from salsa, so I generate a lot of jars.

Stumbled across these - http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product/twist-off-jar-caps-63-mm-12-pk/canning-lids-rings-caps

Those will fit a lot of the commercial sauce jars. Can they be used to utilize jars in home canning? I notice they say "water bath canning". That's different from pressure canning, isn't it? I just have got a propane outdoor stove and now I'm shopping for a canner, so I'm a real beginner here. More of a "pre-beginner", really

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:03:52 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

Re: Canning lids for commercial jars?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
I would buy the plan old Ball lids, they are made to use on those jars, you need to have a tight fit. If you get the lids and rings your can reuse the rings.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
Where do I get all the different sizes?

I've only seen "regular" and "widemouth" sizes of standard rings and lids. I thought it was a standard. I've never seen the little bitty one like would fit a sauce jar.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »
Sauce jar, are you talking about the little 4 ounce jars?

There are only two sizes for the jar mouth, regular and widemouth. I have 4, 8, 16, 32 and a couple of 64 ounce jars and they all use one or the other.

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »
It think they're closer to 20 oz or so.

I thought the list was on that site, but maybe it was on the site that linked to it. But the one that drew my attention was Ragu. There were about 15 jars on the list, though.

I guess I'm not understanding because we're both saying two sizes, but either of the sizes I have are way too big for these.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »
Found it!

Brands that use the 63mm twist off lid include:
 Newman’s Own
 Muir Glen
 Ragu
 Prego
 Walnut Acres
 Sonoma Gourmet
 Dave’s Gourmet
 Bella Sun Luci
 L’Ortolano
 Rao’s Homemade
 Berkeley Bowl’s store brand
 Mom’s
 Cucina Antica
 Vino de Milo
 a few 365 Organic (Whole Foods) sauces, but not all

Except now I thought I found something special, but there are like a billion sites if you google 63mm lids. Lots of honey people use them, but honey doesn't need preservation, so I'm still not clear on whether you can use them for real canning.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
I wouldnt think so unless it is to be in frig
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »
The "approved" line is that commercial product jars are not built for home pressure canning & will break.  That said, I know of several experienced canners who do....with no, or only occasional breakage.  Personally, if they will fit a regular or wide mouth life, I use them for waterbath canning only (jams, pickles, high acid fruits) saving the 'good' jars for the pressure canner.  If they won't take one of those lids, I will use the jar & its matching lid for leftovers storage, for dehydrated storage (incl spices), for seeds, Craft/sewing & hardware supplies.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Starlady

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:09:02 AM »
Also in the 'approved' line is to only use lids specifically rated for home canning......if they don't say so don't bet your health on it.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 10:07:12 PM »
Related/unrelated follow up...

I've got some jars that are brand names but came with commercial products - spaghetti sauce, whiskey, etc.

They take regular lids and they are name branded - Atlas, Ball, and Mason.

Are those for water bath only as well?

~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
I would THINK not, but............ unless you can find a number and can get in touch with the mfg, I wouldn't chance a whole cannerful.

If you really wanted to push it,  try just one in a pressure canner with a load of 'official' jars.  If it doesn't break in the canner and holds the seal for 4-5  months, I'd say you're golden for pressure.  AND btw, if it does break in the canner, that doesn't mean the rest of your stuff is garbage - if it split along the side or cracked around part way down, the rest of your food is OK.  If it shattered and shed splinters everywhere (which I have never, ever heard of), I wouldn't chance glass splinters in/on the other jar lids getting in  your food as it cooled. 

You need to judge here whether it's really worth risking your food and maybe your life by not following the known 'rules' to save a few bucks on real jars. I'm not saying you are cheap, I know otherwise, I know you are just trying not to waste jars you do have.   Unless you have the time/inclination to research (and can actually GET) the details of commercial canning & the equipment, save those jars for waterbathing fruits, pickles & tomatoes, etc.  Because, remember, even tho many of us have a lot of experience and can give you our 'thoughts' - we follow the rules pretty closely.

And since my stock of jars is starting to get low, I will be happy to buy those jars that fit regular or wide mouth lids from you if you won't ever be canning!

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »
Lilburner,
Please don't try to cut corners with reusing any 'store' bought jars for canning your foods. Many times the glass has not been specially treated to with stand the temperatures and pressure required for home canning. 'Store' bought jars are great for things like pasta, beans, rice or other short term dry good storage. I recommend never using any jars except Ball or Kerr jars and Ball or Kerr lids. I do not trust Wal-Mart brand jars or lids. It takes time to build up a  stock of jars to preserve your food in but never take chances in your home preservation. Just this summer I heard of several people badly sickened and some died from potato salad made from home canned potatoes. The homemaker did not pressure can them. Also you must bring all home canned foods to a boil for a bit before serving just to be safe. Any of the home canners here will be glad to teach you!
Ravenwood

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »
I'm not trying to cut corners - just trying to cut down on waste. I've got probably 70 jars to dispose of - a half dozen are the kind I mentioned - the Ball/Atlas/Mason, etc. I was just wondering since they were marked like that, maybe it meant you could use it.

I'm not a fan of keeping random things in glass jars, because you know... breaking.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »
Some of the jars that Walmart sells are Better Homes and Garden brand and they come from China. People in my canning group said they are thin and cheap, breaking in the boiling water bath canner. I have use Golden Harvest jars in the boiling water bath canner and they worked just fine.

If you want to use the jars you have and have a Food Saver you can use it to pull the air out of the jars and store dried foods. I agree with Ravenwood do not use them to can food with.

Starlady

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »
I have heard that about the Walmart jars, too but I've been using them since they came out - 10 yrs ago or so?  And I've NEVER had one break - many are on their 3rd-4th use (since I tend to store them back in the box when emptied out & then I always use opened boxes when I start canning again).  However, I will be the first to admit that you certainly can't go wrong using the name brands.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal