Author Topic: Cash, Gold, Silver, Land, Booze, Wheat, or eggs?  (Read 11494 times)

Lilburner

Re: Cash, Gold, Silver, Land, Booze, Wheat, or eggs?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
I agree. Those 18/$3.99 washcloths are a top 10 prep. I've got at least 10 sealed packs.

I actually use a lot of them, too, in the interim. I hardly use paper towels at all. I keep a big supply of washcloths and use them instead. Some of them get stained, but as long as they're in a place designated as "clean", I use them for whatever. Bathroom, kitchen, basement, shop, whatever. Being single, yeah I may wash my face with a washcloth that was once permanently stained by an oil change. LOL

I save up the dirties and wash them all in a big batch - wash them twice in a row - both with bleach and presoak.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »
I used to live close to philly, so we didn't get hit bad. tbh we were more effected by several bad winter storms in the past. the shore and parts of nyc had it bad. being that far in land, hurricanes were just a long thunder storm for us. expect a few trees to come down and expect the power to go out. we only lost power for a day or 2. when the lights came back on the stores reopened.

heck, right after we moved here we went 3 days w/o power from an ice storm.

any basic preps will get you through, a bit of food, paper plates, plastic cups are nice and some form of power is great. even that 100$ harbor freight 2 stroke generator or a power inverter can do a lot.

as far as bitcoin goes, I'm no expert, but I have a good grasp of it. I used to run a few mining rigs, so you get to know it pretty well.
If anyone has any questions I can answer them or at least point you in the right direction. how to buy, how to use it, how to make a paper wallet etc.

prepping wise, I look at it as digital gold. it's "money" outside of the banking system, like gold. it's not easy to find, freeze or seize like stuff inside the system. it doesn't care about laws, borders or capitol controls.
it's like cash because it can be use anonymously under the table or officially. for example you could pay your handyman with cash, silver or bitcoin and no one needs to know. sure the transaction will be on the public ledger, but that doesn't mean your personal information needs to be attached to your wallet id.
there are ways to be even more anonymous but I never needed to use them.

even if it's not directly accepted at a store, you can buy a digital gift card/visa card instantly and spend the visa card. it's not something I do everyday, but if I lost my wallet or other wise ended up with nothing but my phone I still have a way to spend money.

chainsaw

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
BTC is how I buy things I don't want "them" to know I bought.
Like using cash to buy supplies, I use BTC to buy services like VPN and email, things that you cant use cash for.
KK4WBK - General HAM

nj_m715

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
7,400$ BTC!!  up 10X so far this year.

I moved most of my btc into cold storage. there's a couple ways to do it. I can help you guys out if you if you're thinking about it.

there are a lot of key logger viruses out there. even if you run anti-virus your coins might be a risk.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
I am thinking that when, not if, SHTF occurs, the banks will close.  Two weeks after the banks are closed and people realize they are not going to reopen, gold & silver coins will be a good item to have hold of.  They will become the currency of choice (in my opinion).  Food and water will soon become very tradeable also.

My question is, Should we take notice of news articles like this??

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/mikefuljenz/central-banks-gold/2018/12/10/id/893881/

John Galt 1

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
I am thinking that when, not if, SHTF occurs, the banks will close.  Two weeks after the banks are closed and people realize they are not going to reopen, gold & silver coins will be a good item to have hold of.  They will become the currency of choice (in my opinion).  Food and water will soon become very tradeable also.

If actual cases where the banks closed around the world are anything to go by I suspect that in the inner cities you'll  see rioting within a few days of the banks closing.     And things will really get bad if the monthly government checks stop.

I suspect things will get so bad so quick in urban areas that even bullion will not be to useful.     It will simply be to dangerous to go out and trade. 

Now let's consider the value of that silver coin in a rural area with farmers farming.       Before that silver coin was worth about $15 and that farmers heifer was worth about $600.       But the farmer has 60 heifers and calves, another 80 cows, and no way to preserve or transport the meat and the cows will soon overgraze his fields as they grow larger.       In addition the farmer has little ability to hay his fields to keep the cows healthy over the winter so having too many cows will cost the farmer money.      The same thing goes for a farmer with a silo full of grain, the grain will go bad within 6-12 months without the air circulation fans running.

Consider a pullet or broiler (chickens) house with 12,000 pullets and no more feed coming in.
Without modern transportation their value may go down.

Bullion may go up in value but other things such as allergy meds or a cigarette lighter may be worth even more. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:34:41 PM by John Galt 1 »
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

tlwagg

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »
My BIL is a finance guy and not a prepper but he has some junk silver and he keeps rolls of coins around. He was telling me that with them being and actual metal they will still have value. This from a guy that figures that it won't take long for things to straighten out.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »
Bullion may go up in value but other things such as allergy meds or a cigarette lighter may be worth even more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camping Survival has a cigarette lighter on sale.  Actually 3 for, so I ordered last week.  They use a generated spark, battery is rechargeable.  That in addition to all the other fire starter contraptions I have accumulated..

ProGeek

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
The problem is that we don't know and can only speculate. If you are the guy with the resources, you need people that have something you want in trade. If they have nothing you want, there is an impasse.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 01:36:55 PM »
Things get crazier every day.  A few years ago if you told me a bank would close your business accounts because they did not like what you were selling, I would say " YOUR CRAZY"  absurd !   But it appears that just happened.  Will it become a trend ?  Most likely....

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/02/11/chase-bank-closes-trump-supporters-account/

joebob

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
I have a credit card with Chase, I might have to close it and find a different company to give my business.

Amish

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »
You want to know what it will be like talk to any Russian that was in soviet union during the collapse. A friend of mine was there for the collapse. He has very interesting stories of being in line to buy bread and the price and currency changing 3 times waiting in line. Inflation rising up to 140% in minutes, employers unable to pay workers for services because there money was in the banks that no longer existed. No loans, they had to pay cash for everything using other currencies.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
Chase is up to it some more.  Are they going to close all conservatives accounts?  Seems like they would have a hard time making any money.....

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/02/financial-tyranny-chase-bank-shuts-down-personal-account-of-vocal-trump-supporting-us-army-combat-vet/

I think these guys should get together and SUE bigtime...

RWS

• Bugged Out

Jinga_Din

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »
I like to diversify my money, in hand gold and silver coins, ammo, seeds,and books that teach living skills. I have zero money in any banking or paper money, and certainly wouldn't put any in bitcoin, as that will evaporate as soon as the web crashes, and I don't believe there is any real backing of it at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal