Author Topic: 10 oz silver for spot w/free shipping.  (Read 6828 times)

Lilburner

10 oz silver for spot w/free shipping.
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
I've been dabbling in buying silver lately. I had never done much with it. I inherited some and I've been studying on it. I've been going around and meeting the local dealers and buying some before delving into the the larger online orders.

I was studying online sources tonight and found this deal. You get 10 oz for spot price with free shipping - can't beat that. It's a one-time introductory offer. I'm definitely going to do this.

http://www.jmbullion.com/starter-pack/
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

Re: 10 oz silver for spot w/free shipping.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
wow, it doesn't get better than that.

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:27:25 PM »
Yes anytime you can get new issue Silver Eagles at spot price jump on it like the proverbial duck and Georgia June Bug.

There is generally a dollar plus cost increase over spot to get the Eagle.  Keep it a secret but I have a couple hundred Eagles already and will soon make that 10 more.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:49:43 PM »
it doesn't look like they're eagles, it's just generic rounds. but any silver at spot is awesome

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
Definitely not Eagles.

One thing I'm struggling with understanding is that apparently legal coins command a premium over weight coins. Is that because of collectibility? I don't see it making a difference in SHTF UNLESS a government coin is more "accepted".

To make it even more complicated, I have something called "Silver Proof Eagles". The one in front of me is worth $63, apparently, as of a few minutes ago. I'm thinking I'd rather have three generic silver coins.

Anyone understand all that?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

nj_m715

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »
proofs and graded coins are just more collectable. some have special, limited run privy marks. generally speaking, most prepper types go for low premium stuff in small sizes like like pre65 dimes. they are sort of a poorman's 10th oz coin. if you think the day will come when you can buy a new car with a coin, you might like collecting some dimes so you can make change easier.
personally I take the brother john (a youtuber) approach. I buy low mintage coins with 2 to 3 dollar premiums. I have kooks, pandas, canadian wildlife coins, a few perth lunar coins etc. the low mintage means the price goes up each year so I buy for close to bullion prices, but I get the benefit of a collectable coin.
these are called semi-numismatic (semi-numi's) brother J explains it much better than I could so watch his vids if you're interested.
here's a couple examples. I bought these coins for about 35 bucks. you'd figure I'd be way under water since silver is half that price, but the semi collectable status keeps the value up
http://www.apmex.com/product/59018/2011-australia-1-oz-silver-koala-bu
http://www.apmex.com/product/75425/2013-somalia-1-oz-silver-elephant-bu
it's hard to find the lunar coins at a price I want to pay, but they hold value very well, especially the 1/2 oz coins
of course just because apmex is asking those prices, it doesn't mean I can get those same prices if I decided to dump them, but I would still do much better than I would if I were selling generic rounds or junk dimes.
http://www.apmex.com/product/71340/2013-australia-1-2-oz-silver-year-of-the-snake-bu
I paid 14$ for these http://www.apmex.com/product/78059/2014-australia-1-2-oz-silver-lunar-horse-bu-sii
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:57:53 PM by nj_m715 »

Nemo

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:31:15 PM »
I don't hold any coin for its collectible value.  I want the largest quantity of silver, in a manner that is recognized as silver along with the recognized source and weight. 

Thats what makes the value to me.  It may end up I pass along a rather larger quantity of melt value silver but thats better to those who get it passed to than not passing any.

Or passing an extremely rare coin with 250x weight value when then after fan impact is has only weight value times one. losing the other 249 times..

Seems better to have 250 coins with weight value times 1 that holds that value, than 1 coin with 250 times weight value that loses it overnight.

Although carrying one is much easier than carrying 250.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »
I went looking for this again since I have a variety of addresses, emails, and payment methods :>

It's still valid - bumping to the top.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
From a prepper standpoint, explain why a hunk of element is important?  I understand silver has some medical and conductive properties, but why is it considered important monetarily?

If everything goes to pot and someone needs something I have, a hunk of rock isn't going to get it for them.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

florida44

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Definitely not Eagles.

One thing I'm struggling with understanding is that apparently legal coins command a premium over weight coins. Is that because of collectibility? I don't see it making a difference in SHTF UNLESS a government coin is more "accepted".

To make it even more complicated, I have something called "Silver Proof Eagles". The one in front of me is worth $63, apparently, as of a few minutes ago. I'm thinking I'd rather have three generic silver coins.

Anyone understand all that?

I agree - I have generic silver coins and never understand
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

ProGeek

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Some people think that colectable coins or proofs are worth more. The answer is that depends on the view of who is accepting it. The value of something is what you can get for it. A proof Morgan silver dollar is worth the going rate of silver unless the person taking it feels it is worth more. Colectable value fluctuates. What is a painting worth? The answer is what the buyer says. If you go to a pawn shop, you get silver or gold value for most things. If you need to buy something, and you have gold. If the seller doesn't want gold, they want food, then the gold is worth nothing.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
I feel the same Florida 44, I don't care how much gold or silver you have, you can't eat the stuff. And why would I trade my precious food storage for it? JMHO
Ravenwood

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
From a prepper standpoint, explain why a hunk of element is important?  I understand silver has some medical and conductive properties, but why is it considered important monetarily?

If everything goes to pot and someone needs something I have, a hunk of rock isn't going to get it for them.

I'm not the best one to explain it probably, as I'm not a precious metals zealot. Just someone adding it as a well-rounded prep.

Ultimately, any society or system is going to need currency. You have ammo and meet someone who has grain. You need grain, but they don't need any ammo. Currency is a "placeholder". You give currency for the grain, which they later barter for (buy) medical supplies.

And in the case of total WROL, government currency won't have any weight, so known quantities of precious metals are something easy to understand.

I'm no expert, but I like silver coins because they're small. The problem with gold is making "change". You pull out a gold bar when you want a bag of potatoes, and either they can't help you, or someone trades you a quarter ounce of led for your gold.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »
I feel the same Florida 44, I don't care how much gold or silver you have, you can't eat the stuff. And why would I trade my precious food storage for it? JMHO
Ravenwood

I understand the need and do prep some coins my point is I do not understand why Eagles would have more value than any other generic coin of same weight
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
Government issued coins are more 'trustable' in the prepper world because the silver (or gold) content is well known.  You aren't taking someone's word that the coin being offered is 100% or 92% or whatever.

I haven't checked recently but US, Canadian and South African coins were the most well accepted and standardized back when I looked into getting a few 5 years ago.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal