Author Topic: 10 oz silver for spot w/free shipping.  (Read 6827 times)

Amish

Re: 10 oz silver for spot w/free shipping.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
I buy silver and as much as I can afford to get and still prep. I do not buy it to trade for food, I am a prepper so I have that covered. I buy it because history has shown that in a economic market where their is no standard of money,precious metals are the currency. I think of it this way....when our market crashes and the dollar goes to shit who's currency will be king??? It could be the rubble, yen, franc, peso, Euro...Who knows right??? One thing is certain your metals will retain value in what ever currency is being used. On the flip side what do you have to lose by having it put away?The value is not going down so worse case scenario its an investment.

Lilburner

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 10:31:44 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this since it's pretty old but still valid.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:39 AM »
I feel the same Florida 44, I don't care how much gold or silver you have, you can't eat the stuff. And why would I trade my precious food storage for it? JMHO
Ravenwood
You might consider trading silver for an ax to cut fire wood with.  Or a cross cut saw.  Or a sythe to cut grain.  Or traps to trap small animals for food and pelts.  Or ammunition to hunt with.  So besides storing foods which are perishable, it might make sense to also stock tools and equipment that might be needed in a grid down situation.  When you change out your wood stove for a new model, don''t throw out the old one.  It may be a trade item.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:55:40 AM by RWS »

engineer3d

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »
I guess different people see precious metals different ways - from gold & silver to hot lead. There's also some that think metal tool heads or blacksmith iron & steel is the best precious metal to stockpile. After the collapse, a combination might prove best.
I was telling a friend about my grandparents. They lived on a farm and plowed w/ mules. They had a root cellar under the house and kept things cool by lowering them down into the well. The only electricity they had at first was a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling in each room. Before that they used kerosene lamps and went to bed shortly after sundown b/c they got up before daylight, got dressed, ate, and put the harnesses on the mules. They started plowing as soon as it got light enough to plow straight rows.
They didn't eat their eggs. They walked down the railroad tracks to town and sold the eggs and butter for cash. For precious metals, they had a shotgun, a 22 rifle (hot lead) a very small amount of coins (silver), and worn out tools were used to make a different tool that they needed (blacksmith supplies).
This might be a topic we need to explore.

Lilburner

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
Well here's the way I see it - it's well-rounded - like anything else.

Every society ultimately needs currency. It's a hallmark of civilization.

However much you have prepped, you're almost certainly going to need something.

You go to someone and say "I need so and so medicine. do you have it?"

They say "Yes! I need 7.62x54R ammo"

"I don't have any of that. I have rice, beans, shelter, water filters, eggs, 9mm"

"But I don't need any of that".

When you're standing there at an impasse scratching your butts because you can't strike a bargain, you see the need for currency.

I like small amounts - silver rounds and junk silver.

Some people like big gold bricks. Personally I think if your currency is too big, some people are going to be at least tempted to make change in lead.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:54 PM »
And speaking of junk silver, I found out something interesting just yesterday I never knew.

The early, pre-65 coins, dime through dollar, all weighed the exact fraction of what their denomination was.

A dime weighed 1/10 as much as a dollar, a quarter was 1/4 the wight of a dollar, and a half was 1/2.

I found out about this when I saw places selling junk silver by "face value". If you have $100 worth of US coin junk silver, no matter what coins it's made up of, it always weighs the same, and as of yesterday, was worth about $1250

Neat. and handy!
~ Daniel Webster

engineer3d

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:25 PM »
What's junk silver?

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 07:23:25 AM »
What's junk silver?
It might look like this.

Fixit

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »
Junk silver are coins that were I circulation . They have wear and no collectable value .

engineer3d

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
TY

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal