Author Topic: Gold, buy or not?  (Read 3156 times)

ProGeek

Gold, buy or not?
« on: December 19, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
I've been following the gold market for a while. I've been tempted to buy some at the current price of $1140. My experience is that the market goes up and gold goes up or down, no logic. The below article is interesting.

https://survivalblog.com/guest-article-surviving-a-collapse-the-gold-and-silver-game-by-capt-william-e-simpson-ii/

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Lilburner

Re: Gold, buy or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
Good article - and one of the main reasons I'm coming to precious metals very late in my preparedness. It's like anything else - it's going to depend on the type of apocalypse.

I've been starting with silver and the other day I researched something like "Venezuela silver value" and got back to back hits of "An oz of silver can buy you six months of food in Venezuela" and "Silver can't buy food in Venezuela because the food is too hard to come by, so no one's giving it up". sometimes the more you study, the more it seems like a craps shoot.

I'm a rank beginner - almost at the "for dummies" level, but the thing driving me is that ups and downs in the market won't come in to play if there's a collapse. If there's no viable government currency, it's going to be its own thing.

The reason I haven't got into gold yet is I'd want to keep it small - think about what I'm going to want to buy - probably not going to need a car or house. How do I make change for a $2K chunk of gold when I want food or seeds or a tool? You start pulling out way too big amounts of gold, I think some people will be inclined to barter very small amounts of lead for it.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RevJammer

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
I dabble a little in silver...  when I can purchase gold, I like the tenth oz. pieces.  inexpensive enough to almost afford...  small enough denomination that would make it usable.

RJ

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:42:47 PM »
Might go with some of the "junk silver" coin type stuff.  Or gold as noted above but there are some silver coins in fractional ounce denominations too.

Nemo

https://www.moneymetals.com/12-troy-ounce-walking-liberty-silver-round-999-pure/178
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal