Author Topic: Gander Mtn Bankruptcy. Closing 32 stores. 3 in GA  (Read 6986 times)

Lilburner

Gander Mtn Bankruptcy. Closing 32 stores. 3 in GA
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »
Augusta, McDonough, Snellville

We JUST GOT that Snellville store!

In the great scheme of things, I think they're my second to least favorite before Dick's. Everything always seems too high. Having a local store helped tremendously, though, to snag the occasional deal. But the worst part is even less competition against Bass Pro/Cabelas who are the same company now. Declining competition is always bad.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/34725184/gander-mountain-files-ch-11-bankruptcy-closing-32-stores
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

engineer3d

Re: Gander Mtn Bankruptcy. Closing 32 stores. 3 in GA
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »
I received a Gander Mtn 15% discount flyer in the mail last week. It applies to weapons also and I got the price of a couple. Even with 15% off, I can find the same weapons cheaper somewhere else. The reason they are going bankrupt is because they tried to rip off their customers. Customers aren't stupid and neither are decent class voters.

florida44

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
We always stop at the store in Opelika AL on way to FL. Always overpriced, such a shame.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
I used to see sales with "Free in store pickup" and was bummed I couldn't take advantage.

The first one I went into was south of town. They had a sign up "10% off everything". I thought that was awesome, but found myself wandering through there going "What about the OTHER 15-20% they need to come down to be competitive". I asked them if they had a loyalty discount card or something, and they said no. I left empty-handed.

Then they built the one in Snellville right near the Academy. I think I've bought maybe 5 things there that weren't socks. Some 22WMR back during the shortage, a couple sale scopes, some cleaning rods they had on clearance... maybe 4 things.

And some in-store pickups. That's all I'll really miss - the in-store pickups and their socks. All my socks are Gander Mtn. The 3/$19.99 ones every time they go on sale for $10. If they have a going out of business sale and mark down those socks, I suppose I'll go for a lifetime supply.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »
It's started.

I got two separate emails - one for the Snellville store and one for the McDonough store saying that sales have started, but no specific discounts given. That's not to say Augusta hasn't started - I'm probably just not keyed to that store to get the email.

~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:27 PM »
That's not to say Augusta hasn't started - I'm probably just not keyed to that store to get the email.

I'll try to remember to check tomorrow since I'll be over that way.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »
So.

You can go on the Gander Mtn website and print off a coupon for 15% off storewide for use in store.

OR... You can go to a closing store, where almost everything (not firearms or ammo) is 10% off... and they wont honor the coupon.

Kind of burns my bottom, frankly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:05:18 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
Whoa, 10% off on g-o-o-b sale is kinda crappy.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
Well they'll start at 10% and go from there. Kinda standard GOOB right now. 10% would be good for most stores - you go in while there's a big selection and get things that NEVER go on sale.

But even when I thought I was getting 25% off, I didn't pick up anything. They had some stack-on gun cabinets I gave $99 for marked $199. There's a grill I've always wanted, like Day8 has, but they're always $140. I saw those and said "Aha - I'll get one". and they're like $250. Just crazy. They had a comforter set on deep discount in pink camo, but not regular camo.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
Keeping 70 open, including Valdosta store.

Fair bit more info on plans.

Nemo

https://bearingarms.com/beth-b/2017/05/10/gander-mtn-bankruptcy/   

don't forget the twits
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Country Singer

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
Just hit the Augusta store.  All hunting camo is 50% off.  Other outdoor apparel is at 30% off (I picked up a nice Carhartt duck jacket like this for $60, for instance).  There are some other good deals, too... but some others not as good as they could be.  Firearms and shooting supplies are only 15% off.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Finally found something!

A black powder/muzzleloader starter kit. Regular firearms were 15% off, but black powder is 30% off, so I got this whole kit for $167. "Everything you need to shoot except propellant and caps". I got those, too, so I should be shooting next trip up to NEGA. I was always curious about black powder - even have a pistol I got in a deal. Just never put the effort into studying how to wrangle up all the "stuff" to make it go

I got a Stanley insulated 64 oz growler which was on sale and THEN marked down, so it was a little less than retail.

Got a $14 camo rifle case that wasn't a super deal - just like a lot of differently colored cases in case I want to take several to the range or whatever.

I got some pretty decent tall ceramic coffee mugs for $2.

Of course I was there about an hour and a half. But there are some deals starting to creep in.
~ Daniel Webster

engineer3d

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
Lilburner,
When you have time, let me know what CVA recommends in grains of powder charge and bullets. 100 grains of each??? David Canterberry of the Pathfinder School, uses a single barrel shotgun as a black powder muzzle loader. Open the breech and push or pull thru to clean it. Another guy uses an old double barrel as a Pyrodex B/P muzzle loader w/ different shot in each barrel. Does Gander Mtn have a good deal on Pyrodex? Thx for all of your help.

Lilburner

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »
Well the bullets in the package are 295 grain, so that's off.

I haven't even opened the blister pack, yet. Hopefully I'll be able to fire it within an hour of opening when I go up to NEGA

There were a bunch of kinds of powder, including several that were Pyrodex branded. I got the cheapest one to start, and they guy who helped me said it would work. I don't have the receipt, but I want to say it was about $10. If it was much over, I'll let you know.

~ Daniel Webster

engineer3d

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
TY for the intel. I'll have to go to the price gougers Gander Mtn in Snellville and see what they charge for Pyrodex RS (rifle/shotgun) and Triple 7. Pyrodex is usually about $25 / pound. Glad to hear you found a deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal