Author Topic: I think I just robbed a guy (land clearing/tree service).  (Read 2832 times)

Lilburner

I decided to cut down all the trees in/between my "fields" for lack of a better word. The biggest one is half dead, I'm having a wood stove installed, and they run in an East-West line through the middle, so they throw a little bit of shade into the upper part, which will be the main garden.

The problem is almost every one of them would be adjacent to my forthcoming shipping container, which in turn will hold up the solar, so it all has to be done before that starts.

Frankly, I haven't been looking forward to taking down all the trees, probably two dozen, ranging from 8" to 18". I was planning for a pretty crappy summer.

Even that left the problem of the stumps and how they'd affect the grading for the container. Burning them out would be a slow tedious process at best.

I called the old owner to get the number for his grader, so I could get the grading for the container quoted, with and without tree stumps.

Turns out, he's going to cut all the trees, pull all the stumps, do all the grading, AND bushhog everything for $1000! I'll then be left with a stack of 12' logs I can cut into firewood at my leisure.

I almost feel bad.

Almost.

R2 peeps let me know if you want his number.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: I think I just robbed a guy (land clearing/tree service).
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
Pay him NOW before he changes his mind  ;)  .........that is a fantastic deal!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:45 PM »
Make sure you heard right.  He might have said 10K or $1000 a tree or something.  That sound like way too good a deal.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
The only confusion, as it turns out, was how fast he'd get it done.

Looking up from the catfish pond. For scale, note mulch mountains, pickup truck, and future firewood pile at the far end.

Looking down. The solar array will be in about the middle. This is looking due south at 4 PM.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »
Dang I want that guys number! Around here it's almost that to take down one tree.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »
Oh! I didn't even mention!

He also threw in probably $200 worth of road grading without charging me. It's a private road, so the residents have to maintain it.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »
At least with a private road,  at some point you can put up a gate with a no tress pass sign.

John Galt 1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »
Sounds like a heck of a deal.      Let me know if you need any help with the solar system.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal