Author Topic: The Big One - Economic Crash Coming?  (Read 3708 times)

ChristianJ

The Big One - Economic Crash Coming?
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:19 PM »
From a mainstream news source

Video here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/jim-rogers-worst-crash-lifetime-coming-2017-6

Transcript:
Legendary investor Jim Rogers sat down with Business Insider CEO Henry Blodget on this week's episode of "The Bottom Line." Rogers predicts a market crash in the next few years, one that he says will rival anything he has seen in his lifetime. Following is a transcript of the video.

Blodget: One of the things I’ve always admired about you as an investor is that you don’t talk about what should be. You figure out what is going to be and then you do that. So what is going to be with respect to the stock market? What’s going to happen?

Rogers: I learned very early in my investing careers: I better not invest in what I want. I better invest in what’s happening in the world. Otherwise I’ll be broke — dead broke. Well, what’s going to happen is it’s going to continue. Some stocks in America are turning into a bubble. The bubble’s gonna come. Then it’s going to collapse, and you should be very worried. But, Henry, this is good for you. Because someone has to report it. So you have job security. You’re a lucky soul.

Blodget: Well, yeah, TV ratings do seem to go up during crashes, but then they completely disappear when everyone is obliterated, so no one is hoping for that. So when is this going to happen?

Rogers: Later this year or next.

Blodget: Later this year or next?

Rogers: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Write it down.

Blodget: And what will trigger it?

Rogers: Well, it’s interesting because these things always start where we’re not looking. In 2007, Iceland went broke. People said, ‘Iceland? Is that a country? They have a market?’ And then Ireland went broke. And then Bear Stearns went broke. And Lehman Brothers went broke. They spiral like that.  Always happens where we’re not looking.

I don’t know. It could be an American pension plan that goes broke, and many of them are broke, as you know. It could be some country we’re not watching. It could be all sorts of things. It could be war — unlikely to be war, but it’s going to be something. When you’re watching Business Insider and you see, "That’s so interesting. I didn’t know that company could go broke." It goes broke. Send me an email, and then I’ll start watching.

Blodget: And how big a crash could we be looking at?

Rogers: It’s going to be the worst in your lifetime.

Blodget: I’ve had some pretty big ones in my lifetime.

Rogers: It’s going to be the biggest in my lifetime, and I’m older than you. No, it’s going to be serious stuff.

We’ve had financial problems in America — let’s use America — every four to seven years, since the beginning of the republic. Well, it’s been over eight since the last one.

This is the longest or second-longest in recorded history, so it’s coming. And the next time it comes — you know, in 2008, we had a problem because of debt. Henry, the debt now — that debt is nothing compared to what’s happening now.

In 2008, the Chinese had a lot of money saved for a rainy day. It started raining. They started spending the money. Now even the Chinese have debt, and the debt is much higher. The federal reserves, the central bank in America, the balance sheet is up over five times since 2008.

It’s going to be the worst in your lifetime — my lifetime too. Be worried.

Blodget: I am worried.

Rogers: Good. Good.

Blodget: Can anybody rescue us?

Rogers: They will try. What’s going to happen is they’re going to raise interest rates some more. Then when things start going really bad, people are going to call and say, "You must save me. It’s Western civilization. It’s going to collapse." And the Fed, who is made up of bureaucrats and politicians, will say, "Well, we better do something." And they’ll try, but it won’t work. It’ll cause some rallies, but it won’t work this time.

Blodget: And we are in a situation where Western civilization already seems to be possibly collapsing, even with the market going up all the time. Often when you do have a financial calamity, you get huge turmoil in the political system. What happens politically if that happens?

Rogers: Well, that’s why I moved to Asia. My children speak Mandarin because of what’s coming.

You’re going to see governments fail. You’re going to see countries fail, this time around. Iceland failed last time. Other countries fail. You’re going to see more of that.

You’re going to see parties disappear. You’re going to see institutions that have been around for a long time -- Lehman Brothers had been around over 150 years. Gone. Not even a memory for most people. You’re going to see a lot more of that next around, whether it’s museums or hospitals or universities or financial firms.
Christian pastor & theologian

Nemo

Re: The Big One - Economic Crash Coming?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 12:54:33 AM »
2 ways to go.

1, get ready as much as you can.

2.  Get in, sit down, shut up, hang on.  <--- like letting me drive you around.  Thats your first instruction.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
Not that I don't believe there's a very good chance it could happen but 'experts' have been saying 'later this year, or early next year' for over 25 yrs.   They've used everything from the money supply to rumors of war to inflation and shipping indexes.

It'll happen when the people who really control the money are ready.....and when the Good Lord allows it.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

ProGeek

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
Jim Rogers has been saying that for a long long time. After 2008 everyone was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Now people are saying that it's time for another recession. I don't know, it could happen today, tomorrow, next year, or 20 years from now. At some point there will be a downward turn. How far it goes down, who knows. Will it trigger TEOTWAWKI? Who knows, but I'm not a believer in James Wesley Rawles fiction. I think things like an EMP or a pandemic would be more likely candidates for TEOTWAWKI.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »
Like you see on MSM and all the news-- it does not matter what happens, Trump will be responsible and destroy the world.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
I have been told this tale before, however there are some differences this year as opposed to the 2015, 2016 doomsday predictions. The housing market had rolled over, it started in Canada and many high end US cities. The auto industry's is finally getting what it deserves. And income is stagnant, people are being taxed to death. I feel it is farther away the this summer, the fed still has cards up its sleeve's like negative intrest rates and more QE not that it ever stopped since there buying the crap out of securities. Im hedging with my money (literally) that i have 2 more yrs to get things in order and paid off. If it happens next week then ill make the best of it.

Illinois going bankrupt is a big issue. Just like the teamsters union and the Texas police union that cut pensions. It shines a light on an ugly scene that goes back to social security an unfunded liabilities. I allready pulled my retirment, why make 1% and pay someone 4%.

Anywho Happy early Fathers day to the Dads out there an God Bless.
Psalms 127:3-5

ChristianJ

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »
I have been told this tale before, however there are some differences this year as opposed to the 2015, 2016 doomsday predictions. The housing market had rolled over, it started in Canada and many high end US cities. The auto industry's is finally getting what it deserves. And income is stagnant, people are being taxed to death. I feel it is farther away the this summer, the fed still has cards up its sleeve's like negative intrest rates and more QE not that it ever stopped since there buying the crap out of securities. Im hedging with my money (literally) that i have 2 more yrs to get things in order and paid off. If it happens next week then ill make the best of it.

Illinois going bankrupt is a big issue. Just like the teamsters union and the Texas police union that cut pensions. It shines a light on an ugly scene that goes back to social security an unfunded liabilities. I allready pulled my retirment, why make 1% and pay someone 4%.

Anywho Happy early Fathers day to the Dads out there an God Bless.

Thank you for your comment.

In the article it "predicts" end of this year / beginning of next, but I too feel like it's more like 18-24 months out at the earliest. I guess only time will tell.

I work in an industry tied intimately to auto, so let's not hope the bottom falls out of that one. Though the number of units being moved versus the SAAR is concerning.

Country Singer

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »

Illinois going bankrupt is a big issue.

This, IMO, is going to be the first rock in the avalanche.  Puerto Rico is bankrupt, Illinois is almost there, and states like California, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Maryland are not far behind.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
In reply to ChristianJ i pray your job stays strong, up here in region one we have a Voltswaggon apocalypse. The old blue bird factory is full of cars, i live in rual area with an old abandond carpet mill now its lots are being paved with gravel. and its now filling with VW and audi's. I was told there part of the legal diesel issue and some are 2017 models because theres still alot of 2016 cars on the lot. Its just Insaine to me to see those cars every day, that factory lot sat empty since i moved here it was a dump and these cars are all showroom looking. I think were in for a Venezuela type crash, long slow and painful.
Psalms 127:3-5

engineer3d

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »
Wanna scare yourself silly - look at the debt per taxpayer. I can't pay my share. If they took everything I've got and sold it to pay my share then I'd be bankrupt too.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

A lot of democratic controlled cities are in financial trouble also. They keep trying to raise taxes, but that causes business and jobs to move out. Next, they'll have to cut services, "vote for me and I'll take care of you" entitlements, and pensions. BLM and the MSMedia have trying to cause riots for the last couple of years.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
I believe Starlady has got it right.  "It'will happen when.....and when the Good Lord allows it."  I have read the end of the book.
The first thing you have to understand is Babylon is the US, specifically NY.  Please read the King James version Revelation chapter 17 and 18.  The bible says it will happen and I believe it will happen just like the book says.
SoWhat to do about it ?  All my prep planning are for this happening just like it says.  There will be a remnant.  What will you WHEN ?  What will you leave for a remnant ?

ChristianJ

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
I believe Starlady has got it right.  "It'will happen when.....and when the Good Lord allows it."  I have read the end of the book.
The first thing you have to understand is Babylon is the US, specifically NY.  Please read the King James version Revelation chapter 17 and 18.  The bible says it will happen and I believe it will happen just like the book says.
SoWhat to do about it ?  All my prep planning are for this happening just like it says.  There will be a remnant.  What will you WHEN ?  What will you leave for a remnant ?

Interesting turn your reply has introduced in the conversation. If you follow what I post, you know that God told me to set apart for Him a remnant of Christians in rural Tennessee, which is what I am doing as we speak. I don't want to de-rail this thread, but check out my videos or my thread here to talk more about that if you want.

ProGeek

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »
ChristianJ, I wish you success with your group. The land looks good and mostly level. I'm not a fan of communal property. Working on something you have no actual ownership tends of grate on people. I guess it's because I worked so hard for my stuff and I'm kind of attached to it. Maybe that's not a good thing. Also, I'm old and I can't work like a young man. I guess if I was younger and had very little, the opportunity would be more attractive. That hardest challenge you will face will be managing the group and keeping them focused. Outside forces will always be trying to pull them away.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

ChristianJ

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
ChristianJ, I wish you success with your group. The land looks good and mostly level. I'm not a fan of communal property. Working on something you have no actual ownership tends of grate on people. I guess it's because I worked so hard for my stuff and I'm kind of attached to it. Maybe that's not a good thing. Also, I'm old and I can't work like a young man. I guess if I was younger and had very little, the opportunity would be more attractive. That hardest challenge you will face will be managing the group and keeping them focused. Outside forces will always be trying to pull them away.

Thanks for the comment and the well wishes!

I have read a ton on the subject, pretty much everything that has been written, been a part of some special interest groups (though not communities), and have two connections that are running their own communities in Kentucky and the Ozarks, so I have some on the ground knowledge and mentorship when needed.

This project has morphed from a full on intentional community to more of a church with a conference center and retreat attached (which is where full time folks like myself and an apostle who was sent to work with me will stay). I am in the process of registering the non-profit now. So it's gone from more of a secret community to something that will be registered and on the web and such. But that's the way these things work, they ebb and flow and change form as time goes on. I'm sure it will continue to do so. I can't speak much to the need to own stuff, as I'm selling nearly everything I own to pour into this project... and I am not requiring anyone to liquidate their assets (like I am) and pour it all into the project like some communities do. So I really can't speak on that. Owning things is a farce anyway, try not paying your property taxes. And like Tyler Durden said, the things you own end up owning you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal