Author Topic: Anyone studied LED bulbs? Seems like a lot going on.  (Read 2457 times)

Lilburner

Anyone studied LED bulbs? Seems like a lot going on.
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
There are $2 and there are $20 ones.

I guess color temperature is somewhat important - you wouldn't want cool white in a living room or bedroom while they'd be fine for a kitchen, utility room etc.

So to me the only big difference is really between soft white and cool/bright white.

I know there are dimmable, which I don't think I need right now.

Some are designed to be super accurate on color, which I don't really need day to day outside of my business.

I know someone here was super disappointed in some she got, but I can't remember why.

Apparently once you get them, you're stuck with them for 10-20 years, so I want to do it right.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Ravenwood1950

Re: Anyone studied LED bulbs? Seems like a lot going on.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »
Remember we ordered a woot special, I think it was woot. The bulbs didn't put out enough light to be of use for reading, sewing or anything. I still have the darn things sitting in the shipping box they came in.
:(
Ravenwood

Country Singer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
I think that may have been from 13Deals.  Shipping took forever.  I got some too, I just consider them emergency spares.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »
Yeah I felt kind of bad. I linked that. then they shipped y'alls', but backordered mine, so I was able to cancel mine.

That's one of the things that makes me not want to make the same mistake again. I want to go all LED at BOL and doing home automation in advance of solar.

I have some multi packs from Costco that I don't have any real opinion about, but I need some "fan bulbs". Smaller, but with the same base.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

ATWhite

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »
Hello, remember me, ;-)

I build led lights for car headlights, on the wall lighting for hospitals and things like that. Those are tiny little leds flat square ones, those put off blinding amounts of light. I got some of the led bulbs from Walmart small round leds and they have no light. I agree with Ravenwood, you can read, heck can't even eat by them.

Side note, since I've been working with leds I have been having migraines, never had them before, but now I have meds from my dr. Not sure the why of it, but after some long talks and other stuff with dr 100% white led lighting gives me migraines. 
All Knowledge Is Worth Having

SS-Preppers

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
My advise is don't cheap out.  My company's primary business is selling LED lighting for commercial applications.  For a regular A19 base lamp go with the Cree Home Depot lamp.....I would look at a color temp around 3000k.  There is so much cheap crap out in the market it crazy.  Cree uses much higher end diodes snd components as compared to 90% plus of the junk on the market that is available to buy on the retail market.  I won't get into all the particulars, but it's basically like getting new car vs a used Yugo w/ 500,000 miles on it.

ProGeek

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
I got some Cree bulbs from HD. The work great. Cheap too.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »
Well apparently they've come a long way. Other than two rooms I need to change the fixtures in, I changed out to all LED in NEGA. After that 13Deals experience, I was afraid of getting bad ones, but all the ones I've gotten, seeming at random, are great.

The ones from Costco were Feit. They're pretty much relegated to outdoor use at this point because they're bright/cool white - OK for outdoors, storage, et al, but not really pleasant in living areas to me.

I got some "Biolulz" 40s I ordered off Amazon and some no name 60s I got at Lowe's on clearance for 2/$1.78. Both are soft white. Both are 2700K The 60s are all brighter than the CFLs I pulled out. The bulk of the replacement bulbs were Phillips Hue, though, at over $13 each. All 60s. These are really pretty amazing. They connect to the hub and to the internet individually, so I can use them in places where special switches or bulbs are undesirable - like the stove. Most notably, I can use them in olc school "one circuit" ceiling fans and turn the lights on and off remotely or by voice without affecting the fan.

Also, and I didn't even realize this when I bought them. When they say dimmable - they're dimmable on their own - you don't need a dimmer switch. So in my non-dimmer fixtures, I can say "Alexa, Living Room 70%, etc" and it dims to the desired level without a switch.

I also got some Wemo switches with standard bulbs. they both have their advantages and disadvantages. The switches you can turn on and off at will at the switch, but no dimming. The bulbs, you can never touch the switch. It always has to be on. UNLESS - like I'm glad I found out in time, you don't want them coming back on after a power outage, which is their natural state. So when I'm leaving for the week or whatever, I switch them all off at the switch.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
Did you know ?If you take a standard Led, the kind you solder into a circuit board.  If you shine a light on it that it will generate a mili volt signal.  I have 2 solar trackers form array technology in NM.  They have a sensor box that mounts on the top solar panel.  On opposite sides of the box an Led protruds at 45 deg.  Sunlight generates a mv signal.  When the light is equal the signal is equal.  The signal is fed to a differential amplifier and H Bridge to run the DC motor that positions the tracker.  So as the Sun moves, the signal shifts, the motor runs until the signal is equal again.  They use a 3rd Led on the top of the box for AGC automaic gain control.  When it gets cloudy the gain is lowered and the tracker does not hunt a non existant sun.  I never knew they would generate a MV signal until I bought one of their units.  I am always curious as to how stuff works.  When I was a kid I used to take stuff apart just to see how it worked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal