Author Topic: Canning  (Read 2458 times)

9mmMike

Canning
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
Spent the last weekend canning with my oldest daughter. We canned pickles (cucumber, squash and zucchini), stewed Italian style tomatoes, apple pie filling, apple-red cabbage relish, apple jalapeno relish, apple chow-chow and several other apple recipes (we have several apple trees.) Tiring but really enjoyed the time spent with my daughter. We also picked the apples and harvested some of the produce from our garden.

Coming up I will be picking a couple more bushels of apples to make this years hard cider and apple vinegar. I took pictures throughout the processing and plan to make a presentation to my prepper group about food preservation.

I have also been mushrooming and have gathered in Chanterelles, Boletes and Oyster mushrooms which I dehydrated, have about 4 quarts of dehydrated mushrooms which translates into several pounds of mushrooms. With dried Chanterelles going for around $6 bucks for a less than half ounce package in the store this is really great.

We have Granny Smith, What appears to be Yellow Delicious, Crab and Cider Apples as well as several varieties of pear (two on the same tree!). If possible once the pears ripen I may make some more Peary to go with the Cider. Last year the cider turned out really tart, but I had to use some juice from a local orchard since my trees got frost bit just at blossoming time last year. The year before last I made Peary and it turned out like semi-dry, crisp, white wine. I really enjoy this time of year in spite of all the hard work harvesting, preparing and  juicing.

Gee, anyone who wants to come up and help harvest the rest of my apples is welcome, I will share in the harvest and in the cider if enough gets made! These are organic, no chemical or pesticide produced apples.

ChristianJ

Re: Canning
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
Where are you
Christian pastor & theologian

9mmMike

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »
The farm is near Hayesville, NC, right above Hiawassee, Georgia.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Congrats on getting a few batches in. The wife just canned tomatoes and we already finished pickles. Pretty cool your passing the skills on to your Children. Last year we made apple pie filling and it was great. Became a hit at Church.
Psalms 127:3-5

9mmMike

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
LOL, actually, she is passing them to me, she taught herself! I am very proud of her since she is also physically handicapped. Mentally she is sharper than I am, that is for sure!

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
I stopped by the Fall Campout to introduce myself.  Lilburner asked me if I was going to can apples as we had been to Elijay on an apple run and picnic.  I told him no, that I never had.  So I decided to can apples for the first time.  I consulted the Ball Blue Book, the bible of canning?  It said to peal,core, slice and rinse.  Make light syrup (sugar & water) pour in apple slices and bring to a boil I think it said 10 min.  Then put in jars and seal 10min in hot water boiler.  I should have known better, but the Blue Book is usually right.  What happened is I got bubbles (from boiling) and I am too lazy to try to remove before putting on the lid.  See picture.  Next time I am going to cold pack them like I do  the tomatoes.  I stuff the jars full and fill with a mixture  mostly water, little salt and a little lemon juice to Keep Ph low.  Low Ph helps preserve color/prevents darkening so quickly.  Of course with apples it would be sugar water & a touch of lemon juice.  In the picture I put a quart jar beside the half gallon jars used for the apples to demonstrate the size.  The quart was green beans canned Fall of 15 going by the marking on the lid.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Time to make a pie and a batch of Apple butter......that will take care of those apples real fast......

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »
Tomorrow is grocery shopping day so we are making our list.  The wife put apple cider vinegar on her list.  We are getting some nice cucumbers now so pickle relish is on the to do list soon.  I put lemon juice on my list.  When I can I tend to use a good amount of lemon juice in a Summer.  It lowers the ph of what you are canning which helps keep your canned goods keep looking good.  They do not darken up so quickly over time.  Also a lower ph helps the food to be preserved better. 

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
Congrats on getting a few batches in. The wife just canned tomatoes and we already finished pickles. Pretty cool your passing the skills on to your Children. Last year we made apple pie filling and it was great. Became a hit at Church.
The wife makes apple pie filling and puts it in the freezer from our annual Ellijay apple run.  She gets asked to fry up apple tarts or turn overs what ever you are used to calling them.  I call them fried apple pies.  Tomorrow she is going to a dinner and was asked to bring fried apple pies.  It's all ladies, so I am on my own!  I guess you could say I will be in charge at home...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal