Prepping > Medical/First Aid/Health

Colloidal Oatmeal

(1/1)

halo:
You may ask," What the heck is Colloidal Oatmeal?"

Colloidal oatmeal is dried oats that has been ground into an extremely fine powder. When you add  it to bathwater, it creates a milky dispersion that prevents the oatmeal from settling quickly . So the oatmeal stays in the water and doesn't just sink to the bottom of the bath.  You find colloidal oatmeal in remedies that help relieve dry, skin patches (Eczema), psoriasis, acne, bug bites, sunburns, and other minor skin irritations. It also helps relieve chicken pox, poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and other itching and scratching rashes. Since colloidal oatmeal has an anti-itch property that helps reduce the “need to itch,” soaking in the bath brings soothing comfort to those infected. When your skin is itchy and irritated, its pH level may be higher. Colloidal Oatmeal helps bring the pH back to normal levels, taming "the need to itch."

You can buy these remedies at your local big box store if you like spending your money...or you can save a few bucks and make it yourself!  It's super easy.

To get started, you'll need oatmeal. The easiest way is to buy oatmeal you get at the grocery store. Make sure you don't get the "instant" kind.  Just good ole old fashion oats with no flavorings added .  I purchase organic but you don't have to.

Use whatever you have at hand to grind the oatmeal into the finest powder possible, so it dissolves easily in lukewarm bath water. This could be anything from a blender, a food processor, a coffee grinder, mortar and pestle, or a grain mill. You want to mill it as fine as possible.  For those that have a sensitive nose to fine powders you may want to wear a dust mask..which I do.  The finer it gets in the milling process the more likely those fine particles will get whipped up into the air....it can be messy..so make it worth the time and effort and do a large batch.  When finished seal it up tight and keep in a cool dark place for when it is needed.

To use run a lukewarm bath, not hot because that draws moisture from the skin and can make the irritation worse.  While the water is running into the tub pour 2 cups of colloidal oatmeal under the running water so it disperses well.  Soak for 10 or 15 mins.  When finished be careful getting out of the tub because it can make things slippery!  Pat dry with a towel..no rubbing!  You can use this method up to 3 times a day. It is safe for soaking for everyone, except someone with and allergy to oats. Even mothers-to-be can use it safely!  It's even ok for your pets!  Once the oatmeal is milled fine DO NOT INGEST...this is for soaking only.

You can also use this as a "spot treatment" by making a paste and applying it to the irritated area. Let paste dry then rinse with lukewarm water.   You can also use wet wraps. Just soak wraps in the oatmeal water and put on effected area for 10 to 15 minutes.  Always air or pat dry.   Using a moisturizer after soaking or spot treatment helps to lock in the moisture from the oatmeal which helps reduce itching.  I use organic coconut oil.  I try to stay away from store bought moisturizers because they have things in them I prefer not to use.  JMO 

Hope this is useful.  Oh one other thing... for those who make their own soap..it's a great ingredient!

Amish:
Good info! I suffer from dry skin really bad durring the winter and normally have a steroid script when it gets too bad. I am going to give this a shot this winter and see how it works for me. Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version