Author Topic: Building a "squirrel pole" - a possibly illegal way to harvest squirrels  (Read 2718 times)

Lilburner

He calls it "How To Kill A Bazillion Squirrels (Probably Illegal)". The premise is (and I didn't know this), that squirrels are irresistibly drawn to 45 degree angles, so you can sucker them into a system of traps.

I haven't checked to see if this is legal in GA

He mentions taking a battery fishing. Anyone know this one? Also add other "so good they're illegal" ways of harvesting wildlife for feeding yourself and your family/people in WROL.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:46:56 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Carrot

Re: Building a "squirrel pole" - a possibly illegal way to harvest squirrels
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
I fast forwarded to the good part, but electrofishing is what they are referring to.

https://youtu.be/6--pOHoyTdk?t=2m24s

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
A permit is necessary to take, harm, harass, trap, or kill any wildlife with few exceptions.* Squirrel isn't an exception.  Squirrel season is in the summer.

Exceptions that can be killed by any method unless specifically prohibited are Norway rats, black rats, house mice, coyotes, armadillos, groundhogs, beaver, freshwater turtles, venomous snakes, frogs, salamanders, fiddler crabs, fresh water crayfish, freshwater mussels, and nutria (I had to look this one up - it looks like a small capybara).*  I thought hogs were on the list too?

Then again, who's going to know?  This trap looks dangerous to cats though.

Thanks for adding traps to my list of stuff to stock up on.  I took the * info from a GA Master Gardener Handbook.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »
I fast forwarded to the good part, but electrofishing is what they are referring to.

https://youtu.be/6--pOHoyTdk?t=2m24s

When I was in my teens I used to go with a neighbor (he worked for PA Fish and Game) and we did the same thing.....he had a small mower engine and a couple of alternators attached to a plank of wood that we sit on the gunnels of the boat and attach it with a couple C-clamps.  Not sure what he used to make the probes that dangled in the water out of, but it was really cool........All I had to do was net the fish.......when we had gone over the area he had chosen, we would type, sex, measure and weigh them and then back in the water they went.  I had fun doing it and I learned where some of the really nice ones would be hanging out in the creek.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Squirrel season is anytime I step out the door , see one and am not in a hurry to go somewhere.  Step back inside and reach for the shot gun.  I just had 2 new ones show up this week.  I have lots of white oak.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »

When I was in my teens I used to go with a neighbor (he worked for PA Fish and Game) and we did the same thing.....he had a small mower engine and a couple of alternators attached to a plank of wood that we sit on the gunnels of the boat and attach it with a couple C-clamps.  Not sure what he used to make the probes that dangled in the water out of, but it was really cool........All I had to do was net the fish.......when we had gone over the area he had chosen, we would type, sex, measure and weigh them and then back in the water they went.  I had fun doing it and I learned where some of the really nice ones would be hanging out in the creek.

I'm close enough to a major GA lake that I should really keep at least a jonboat I can slide in the pickup. This would be the next logical extension of that. Not during ROL, of course.

Then the question becomes "How long before the major lakes are fished out?" Or could they keep up?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal