Author Topic: Discount Camp Stove  (Read 1999 times)

engineer3d

Discount Camp Stove
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »
The Nam Dae Mun groc. store in Lilburn has this butane stove for $14 and the butane canisters in a 4 pack for $4, if you need a discount camp / emergency stove. Mine boils water pretty quickly. I like to have a spare stove in the winter if the elect or gas goes out. It shouldn't be used indoors w/o ventilation, but neither should any other open flame. It would probably work OK under the stove hood especially if the fan still ran. If the fan didn't work b/c of no elect., it would probably be iffy.

https://www.amazon.com/GS-1000-Portable-Automatic-Ignition-Carrying/dp/B06ZZTN4G4

http://ndmmarket.com/locations/

Lilburner

Re: Discount Camp Stove
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:53 PM »
I've got a couple of these - specifically from that store. I originally bought them for boiling cosmoline out of milsurp guns outside.

They're smaller, quicker, and easier to use than propane, but sometimes I prefer propane if I'm doing several things with the fuel.

They're also MUCH safer than propane indoors - the warnings are mainly liability issues. They're popular with party caterers who use them indoors, and the reason you see them in Asian markets is a lot of times a whole extended family will live in a house and cook in their bedroom. I'm not openly suggesting they're 100% safe, but I've literally never heard of one causeing a problem, and I have propane (I've been known to use a propane coffeemaker in the house with a door open).

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

engineer3d

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »
Thx for the input, Lilburner. I'm glad to know butane is safer than propane inside. If I don't have any other way to heat the house, I'll use butane before propane and use the white gas Coleman stove last. It will probably work best if I crack a window.
I've heard of a lot of people getting hurt from natural gas space heaters. A lot of people used to use them w/o a problem, but the houses were draftier back then

upacreek

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:31:15 PM »
We use these stoves in Scouts all the time.  They do not work in cold weather.  They're good and stable stoves though.  I've been with the Troop for nearly 4 years and none of the stoves have broke despite being dropped, boy-handled, tossed around while the trailer was being driven around...  I believe the cost of those canisters are a pretty good deal.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 10:05:07 AM »
I have used one of those a time or 2 (dozen) for melting wheel weight lead and casting boolits.  It worked well but needed some wind blockage if the wind was up a bit high.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Carrot

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
I have one for backup and I use it when I need an extra burner when cooking or canning.

elandil

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
I love these stoves, need to check and see how my fuel supply is while it's on sale. Great as camp or backup stoves.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
The butane stoves are safe to use indoors, that is one of the reasons they are so wonderful for emergency back up cooking. I have used my two butane stoves indoors safely for many years with no problems.
Ravenwood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal