Author Topic: I got a free car battery. Something to look out for.  (Read 1260 times)

Lilburner

I got a free car battery. Something to look out for.
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »
I had occasion to get a dead battery - usually something you'd refuse, because they're a liability, but I wanted to try something.

It had the store, the brand, and the full warranty on top. It was a Bosch, came from Pep Boys, and had a three year replacement warranty.

Batteries have date codes on them. This one was dated 12/14 - three years ago next month.

I walked in to Pep Boys, sat it on the counter, they gave me a new one. No receipt - didn't even test it to make sure it was bad.

Something to keep an eye out for. I'd think the challenge with a lot of batteries are knowing where they came from or who'd honor the warranty. Many are store specific like Everstart and Diehard. Some might take some research - some might be a total bust.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

engineer3d

Re: I got a free car battery. Something to look out for.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I can't believe you didn't use your Battery MINDer Plus and desulfate it. You certainly aren't going to get a very good grade on that science project.
However, congratulations on getting a new battery. The next time you need a battery or car parts, check White Bros in St Mtn on Memorial Dr 770 723-1001. They're usually cheaper or have a better product than Auto Zone, Advanced, or O'Rilleys.

aces

Re: I got a free car battery. Something to look out for.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
Good tip, Lilburner and thanks for the lead, Engineer3d.

Even if you can't take it back for a warranty replacement, it's handy to have to avoid a core charge when buying a new one (if you don't have an old one to swap, want to convert a battery for something else, or don't want to haul a nasty battery in your nice vehicle if you don't have a truckbed.)

My husband always stops for car and truck batteries.  It keeps the environment cleaner too!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal