Author Topic: Slow cooker ground beef recipes/suggestions?  (Read 3672 times)

Lilburner

Slow cooker ground beef recipes/suggestions?
« on: December 23, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
I got a bunch of beef family packs on a Black Friday sale up in R2.

Im trying to think of something to do with it that doesn't command a tremendous amount of time or attention. So far I'm drawing a blank after chili, sloppy joe, tacos, and spaghetti sauce.

I know I could Google, but I thought interesting uses for ground meat might be a good topic here. I THINK they're in roughly 3.5 lb packages divided into two lumps. I was thinking the crock pot would be nice so I could smell it all day. I think it's supposed to be cold next week.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: Slow cooker ground beef recipes/suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
If you like stuffed cabbage you could make stuffed cabbage soup - all the same ingredients, you just don't have to roll it in the cabbage.

One small head of cabbage cut in mouthsize pieces, 2-3 lbs ground meat in smallish pieces, onion, green pepper, basil, a pint (or 16 oz ) of your favorite tomato sauce, same amount of water.  Dump it all in, turn the crockpot on high and come back in 3-4 hrs, or on low and come back in 6-8.  I've seen people add carrots, too. 

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »
Add 1-2 lbs. to a box of mac & cheese for a hearty dinner.

An extra, and better tasting step for both these recipes is to brown the meat 1st.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
Get 5-6 decent sized green peppers.  Cut off tops & clean out insides.  Stuff with a mixture of 2lbs ground beef (don't brown it), 1/4 cup uncooked rice, onion, basil & garlic to taste.    Set in crockpot, pour in your favorite tomato sauce and cook on low for 5-6 hrs.  You won't be able to wait that long!

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »
Sweet n' sour meatballs:

Use a whole pack of beef to make the meatballs with 1 beaten egg, 1c plain breadcrumbs, 2 Tbs of soy (I don't care for soy so don't use it) or 1 Tbs of salt, 1 Tbs of black pepper, 1 very small onion diced fine.  Brown lightly in a skillet, or bake at 350F for 20 mins.

Freeze 1/2 for another day, put the rest in the crockpot and add 2 large cut up green peppers. Then you mix up this sauce cold:  1/4 cup vinegar (I like the taste of ACV), 1 cup sugar, 9 Tbs of cornstarch, 3 Tbs soy.  Pour over meatballs & peppers, cover & cook for 5-6 hours on low, then add 1 16 oz can (or a bigger one if you like them) of crushed or cut up pineapple.  Mix gently, cook another 30-45 mins and serve over rice.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
Get 5-6 decent sized green peppers.  Cut off tops & clean out insides.  Stuff with a mixture of 2lbs ground beef (don't brown it), 1/4 cup uncooked rice, onion, basil & garlic to taste.    Set in crockpot, pour in your favorite tomato sauce and cook on low for 5-6 hrs.  You won't be able to wait that long!

OMG I LOVE chiles rellenos and thus is so close. I bet I could change up the spices and substitute salsa for tomato sauce. I've never used cheese in a crock pot, but I bet I could add some at the end.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »
That would work.... Sounds good!

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »
Add 1-2 lbs. to a box of mac & cheese for a hearty dinner.

An extra, and better tasting step for both these recipes is to brown the meat 1st.

Brown the meat first and add a honking big onion to that.  A bit of salt and pepper (maybe some other spices you prefer) and you are good  to go.  Try not to eat is all at one sitting. 

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »
Brown the meat first and add a honking big onion to that.  A bit of salt and pepper (maybe some other spices you prefer) and you are good  to go.  Try not to eat is all at one sitting. 

Nemo
[/quote]
Cut up some cabbage in a pot with water, bring to a boil and add ground beef.  This is cabbage season in South Georgia.  I use my shallot type onions, so I save the tops and chop.  Then add some to each bowl as served or just before.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »

OMG I LOVE chiles rellenos and thus is so close. I bet I could change up the spices and substitute salsa for tomato sauce. I've never used cheese in a crock pot, but I bet I could add some at the end.

I make something very close to this.....rather than stuffing all the peppers, I just chop them up and dump them in with the beef and onion.....tumirin, cummin, pepper flakes, cyan, red pepper, salt & black pepper.....I put caso fresco in it, which really doesn't melt......some times I put it in a tortilla or serve it over rice......I love it.

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »
Don't know why I didn't think of that!  I make & can both stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers but sometimes I just want a quick fix so I make the stuffed cabbage soup.  Stuffed green pepper soup would be just as good.

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
I think we have a plan, more or less. I'll hit up the farmers market here in Lilburn for veggies and bulk spices for the BOL. Win/win.

I'll serve it on a bed of tortilla chips. That way I can pick it up with the chips for a while, and the rest will be on flavorful corn mush.
~ Daniel Webster

joboomartin

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
Loco Moco.....Food of the Gods and Hawaiians. Or you can check out this page: https://www.clarkscondensed.com/food/instant-pot/ground-beef-instant-pot-recipes/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal