Author Topic: How to Soap  (Read 4356 times)

Starlady

Re: How to Soap
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
A follow up after over a year:

The very 1st batches of soap I made in late January of 2018 started going rancid smelling in February of 2019 - both the lard and veggie oil only based soaps.  They were stored in plastic bags with ventilation holes, some were wrapped in paper 1st some not - all went smelly on me.

The lard based soaps started developing light brown spots at the same time.  Cutting them out helped with appearance, the stronger scented soaps didn't smell rancid and lathered/cleaned the same as always.  The unscented or lightly scented soaps definitely smelled on the verge of bad - although they also worked the same - still the scent of nearly rancid oil on the skin wasn't nice.  I just wanted to test them out to see any differences.

SO!   If you make gifts for people for the holidays, do it as late in the season as you can for the process you decided upon (hot or cold) and tell them to use within 9 months or so.  On my next batch this fall, I'm going to freeze a bar or two to see if that will keep them fresh longer.  Anyway, don't count on homemade soap being a long term prep - store the ingredients, except for the fats, instead.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal