Author Topic: Anyone considered plastic pallets?  (Read 1518 times)

Lilburner

Anyone considered plastic pallets?
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
There's a place near here where I get some smaller drums, buckets, etc. that has plastic pallets for $3. I wish I'd taken a picture. They're not the kind that are flat on top with just dip down paces - they're flat top and bottom.

I'm thinking about "paving" part of the area behnd my BOL house with them - more weather resistant and more solid than wooden pallets, and of more uniform size.

Then I started thinking about other uses. I'm thinking if you were to build only a minimal framework, or just posts if you wanted to only go out four feet or so, you could bolt them to a structure, make an awning, and cover it with a tarp. since the tarp wouldn't have any strucrural duty - just filling in gaps against weather, it should last almost indefinitely.

Definitely a great potting bench with some lumber legs.

Any other thoughts or experiences?

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

Re: Anyone considered plastic pallets?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
I have a limited knowledge of plastic, but worked in a plastics company for a couple years.  Anything remotely transparent is probably made up of plastic that will not hold up to the cold.  It will easily shatter.  Think of garbage cans that you put out on the curb.  That's the kind of plastic you want.  It won't last forever, but it's designed to withstand the extremes.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »
Depending on how you could attach them for a bit of height, most farm livestock (sheep, pigs, goats) only need a 3 sided wind/rain shelter down here, if the area is otherwise fenced in for predators.

I'd use some to make some brooder boxes in the coop for when the girls go broody and want their egg nests protected....
With some 4x4's could make a great place for them to have their sand/ash bath spot that didn't get rained on.  I need to do this soon as they are getting into the awning side of the coop and pooping all over my extra supplies (flakes, coop tools, buckets, etc.).....
I'd add more shade area to the 'baby' pens.....
Build a little tool box closer to the garden.....

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

joboomartin

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
Hmm, Think they would work for a retaining wall if they were supported with 4X4s or 6X6s? Do you remember if they were standard pallet size?

SS-Preppers

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »
Dang......I am thinking there could be all kinds of potential uses for these.......if they are 4x4 then you are looking at about $0.19 per sq.ft........you got the wheels spinning in my head.  Would like to know where they sell these at and if you have a pic or two.  Thanks.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:07:51 PM »
I'm going to try to go tomorrow and get one/some and take pictures.

If they plan on having them regularly, I'll share the source  8)
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »
If you're thinking of doing a deal like you did with the plastic buckets, count me in!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

cope

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
I have several of the plastic pallets and they are made to withstand weather sun etcetc. Weather is a non issue for them. That said they are slicker than snot when wet. I bough some adhesive strips that you put on the floor of your shower or tub that give you some grip when wet from the dollar store on the plastic pallets and that seems to have helped.
I use them as a step and partial deck or porch off the back door of my barn.

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
No luck on the pallets. All gone.

The guy said he gets them pretty regularly, but in small quantities - 8-10. They come in 40x48 and 40x40.

They have some "heavy duty" ones for $8, which might be a better choice for load bearing, ie. decking, but I'm going to wait til they have both so I can compare.
~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »
I set my 60"' bucket on a plastic pallet when not on the tractor.       Pallet "feet" slowly deformed under the weight.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal