Author Topic: SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA  (Read 12208 times)

Lilburner

Re: SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
I can not tell you exactly how glad I am that Lilburner will have pants!

But remember the moral of the story. I had pants all along. I was more prepared than I even realized. It's like a zen thing.

Remember auction goodies! I'm laying mine out now. Seems like I'm forgetting about half.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »
If you have any firewood handy I would encourage everyone to bring a little at least. Even day trippers could bring a few pieces for the fire if they would.

Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
I have a bag leftover from a trip to Jekyll Island, I'm sure it's dry by now, lol.  It'll burn fast but I'll bring it.

And I got lots of popcorn!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
I'm so disappointed that we aren't there. I'm actually sitting at work right now. I have to have a serious discussion with our contractor this weekend. We sure will miss seeing everyone. The commander sends regards. We will without a doubt see everyone this fall.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

florida44

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
You and the Commander were missed terribly it wasn't the same without you
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

florida44

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
We made some great new friends so looking forward to you meeting them
Region 2

Starlady

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2018, 06:02:20 PM »
GREAT time at the Campout, it was the best weather for a spring campout in years and it's always fun to put faces to Forum names.

Had our biggest auction, thanks to all who donated and especially to Lilburner for all the stuff he collected and organized for both the auction AND the Campout!  I love it when I can find stuff I can use and it goes to a good cause.

I had a leisurely Sunday morning, left late, took my time getting home in the rain and treated myself to a Cinnabon,  it's my reward for stopping at the dump station, lol!    And I'll sit down in a bit with a fresh cup of coffee, my warm Cinnabon and IN A WARM CAMPER.  Just for the hell of it, I turned on the furnace after hooking back up to the electric here and it came right on. Geez!

Then I'll enjoy a nice invigorating shower with the new Tangerine scented soap we made this weekend.

So nice to meet up with old friends and make new ones but we missed all the day trippers, hope to catch up with you soon.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
The thing about talking to people, you find out things.  At the seed exchange session Lilburner said he loves black beans.  He asked if they grew around here.  I found some seed at Johnnys and ordered a half pound.  Now 100 seeds was 4.95 and a half pound was 5.95 so it was a no brainer.  next time there is a seed exchange, I should have some black bean seeds.  I figure if I plant a row this year that I will have at least 10 lb of seed.  The rest I think I will dry and vacuum seal in quart mason jars.  They take 104 days to maturity (long growing season) and warm temps.  Might not grow (well) in North Ga.  I was already planning on planting black beans next year.  I will see if I can squeeze in a short row this year.  In any case I will have the seeds.

Starlady

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2018, 07:10:03 PM »
To Whoever Left Behind a Green Camp Chair.  I have it safe till we meet again.

Starlady

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 07:11:47 PM »
RWS - I'm glad to see the interest in seed saving again.  Maybe in the fall or next spring we can get a bigger seed and plant swap going.

Lilburner

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
Another one in the books! Another great SEPN campout. Thanks to all who came and thanks to all those who donated to the auction. It was our best auction to date.

As always, it was great to see old friends and make new ones.

Congratulations to Starlady, Tlwagg, and Wabbit as the winners of the posting and membership contest.

Congratulations to Searchboss as the winner of the Bag Show and Tell Contest.

Thank you to RWS for hosting the seed swap (and our condolences on your loss - we were sorry to see you have to go), and Starlady for her soap making class and demo. I learned quite a bit! Like you can even make soap from rancid fat, and that bacon grease soap doesn't smell like bacon.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon, so stay safe til then!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:06:09 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Searchboss

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
I had a great time at the spring campout! It was good to get together in person to meet and socialize with both new members and old. It is good to put screen names and faces together.

It was fun to see the various camping techniques used. Everything from a hammock, a tent, transport trailers improvised for camping, different sizes/types of travel trailers and a motor home. Almost everyone was trying out something new. I saw people experimenting with solar charging, wood burning stoves, sleeping bags, and a host of other camping, backpacking, shooting, and cooking stuff. It is good to be able to see what type of gear others are using.

The events were fun and educational. The seed swap hosted by RWS was interesting and several people got some new seeds for their gardens. I sat in on the hands-on soap making demonstration that Starlady presented, which was outstanding, and the BoB show and tell which Lilburner organized as a competition that gave the event a fun twist. It was a good way for people to see what others have put in their bags and to offer or get ideas about items that they might find useful. There was also a raffle, and of course the auction which offered many interesting items.

Above all, the thing I found the most worthwhile was the camaraderie. It was great to get together with like-minded people and discuss all kinds of subjects. The conversations around the campfire were sometimes sobering and sometimes hysterical, but always interesting.

I would like to say thank you to Lilburner and the other SEPN members that made the spring campout not only possible, but successful. It takes a lot of advanced planning and coordination to make something like this work. It was a great event! I am looking forward to the next one.

joboomartin

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
I had the most amazing time at the campout. Thanks everyone for being so welcoming… especially on the Saturday after the hot dog affair.    :o

StarLady, thank you for the soaping class. An actual demonstration/class is much more powerful than just reading the instructions. I already used the tangerine soap, I just couldn’t  wait.  We are definitely going to try making it at home.

Great to put faces to Forum names. This group is made up of unique and wonderful people that I really enjoyed spending time with. Hopefully we will get to connect on a more regular basis, especially those in the same region.

florida44

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
hot dogs aside it was really great to meet you all as well
Region 2

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal