Author Topic: Anyone ever teach themselves to weld?  (Read 2849 times)

Lilburner

Anyone ever teach themselves to weld?
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
Every time I see one of those 90 amp welders on sale at Harbor Freight, I'm tempted.

Now that I've decided that no welder shop is ever ever ever going to take on my work, I'm pretty much sold. I've been trying to get my trailer bed made for a year - ain't gonna happen. Another campout with no custom bed.

Anyone ever just bought a welder and fired it up and seen what happened with zero forehand knowledge?

I've always thought of it as a specialized skill but heck with it - nothing to lose at this point if I can't get anything welded. I guess I could start a fire? Not sure what the worst case is otherwise.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

cavediverbob

Re: Anyone ever teach themselves to weld?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
I learned to screw up welding growing up on the farm. Then I actually learned how to solder, braze, oxy-acytelene weld, then arc weld in HS shop. Finally, I really learned to weld in vo-tech school--(mig, tig, arc). Even now I am still learning. I went to a demonstration booth sponsored by Lincoln welders and put all my "past knowledge" to the test. I welded the best I ever had at that point because I wanted to impress the Lincoln rep. He spent 5 minutes with me pointing out the "flaws" in my technique. Then I tried again and I couldn't believe the improvement.

In other words--take a class even if it is for a day. It will make a world of difference.

Bob
When seconds matter, help is minutes away.
Kilo, Kilo, 4, Golf, Lima, Juliette

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »
Oh - yeah - that's the other thing I've ruled out.

I've got about a year of my life into finding out

A) I'm never going to get anything welded, and

B) That I'm not ever going to find a day program, night school, community college, etc. "learn to weld" class short of a several thousand dollar professional program.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BlueOrchid

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »
I found someone in my circle of contacts who used to weld professionally.  Retired now, does a little work onthe side.  For a very small fee, he's been teaching me welding skills.  I've only had 2 "lessons", but what's I've learned so far is encouraging me to consider purchasing welding equipment.  I could not find/afford any class for beginners.  That started me asking around.

If you ask around, you may find someone you can ask to teach you.  It's worth a try and could be very well worth the money.

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
I had done some dayum small bit of welding.  Then one day wifes dad decided he needed something welded but could not see well enough to do it.  Eye issues with his diabetes, cataracts  and such.  Keep in mind he was one of those who could weld a pair of pantyhose to a mason jar without runs or cracks.  Guess who got drafted to do it.  I gave him fair warning though.  So you can guess how that went. 

He decided needed to give me some lessons (more wanted on my end) on stuff.  Prior, I was one of those who welded gorilla style, big and ugly but often strong too.  After his teachings in an afternoon I was amazed at the whole idea of welding and can do somewhat ok now.

Day class, a retired guy or whatever it is worth the effort.  Or make arrangements to hang out with BlueOrc for an afternoon.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

crplhood

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »
I learned arc (nothing complex) and braze in high school. I learned MIG from my motor sergeant in the army. Haven't melted any metal in years, though, I have a metal shop with a faithful old Lincoln arc.  If your ever up towards Polk, let me know. I bet I'm pretty rusty, but the fundamentals are to basic to forget...and I can't ever pass up the opportunity to play with the cutting torch...though if I teach anyone how to use that, they will need to bring their own tips ::)

MoleStomper

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:16:44 PM »
I am a graduate of a 2 year welding program.  It is entirely possible to teach yourself to weld.  Especially with the use of YouTube videos.  I would, however, caution against the Harbor Freight MIG/flux welders.  The concern with them is lack of heat generated which would drastically reduce the penetration of the weld.  The arc welders are not the best, but stick welding is generally stick welding.  Harder to get good at, but there is not as much concern with penetration issues on those machines. 

It also depends on what you are looking at using it on.  If you are making a candle holder for Aunt Lulabell the HF welder would probably be fine.  If you are building a trailer that will be going down the interstate at 70 mph then you are probably going to kill someone.

low_n_slow

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
Manufacturer's rebates available on Hobart welders at Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_rebates-special-offers+hobart

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal