Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 4334 times)

tlwagg

Blueberries
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
Do any of you know which grower has the best blueberry plants. I want to plant a blueberry hedge along my fence so I'll need about 20 or so small ones. I love to put in the big ones bet that would be to expensive.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

joboomartin

Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
Tlwagg, Kinsey family farms had a good deal on them last year. Call first because they turn over stock constantly.

http://www.kinseyfamilyfarm.com/nursery-plants/blueberry-bushes.html

tlwagg

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »
Thanks I'll give them a call.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
I dig up bluberries for transplanting in February.  If you come down on a Saturday you can look over my solar installation at the same time.  Free blueberry bushes except for the time & fuel needed to come.

I will be at the Dalton Hamfest last weekend of Feb. 23-24.
Blue berries are like azaleas.  They are shallow rooted and like loose acid soil.  Well dranined and full sunlight.  Till in lots of mulch.  Till in lots of mulch.  Till in lots of mulch.  Use stuff that will rot and turn the soil acid.  Cover with pine straw.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:54:51 PM by RWS »

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Ison's nursery is not far from me. That is where I got my plants. I really don't think you will need 20 plants, do you realize how big they get over time?
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
I want to grow a blueberry hedge so I'll need a bunch of bushes.

RWS whan you say come down, how far down? Which city are you near?

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
Do any of you know which grower has the best blueberry plants. I want to plant a blueberry hedge along my fence so I'll need about 20 or so small ones. I love to put in the big ones bet that would be to expensive.
My blueberries are now dormant due to the recent cold.  Anyone that wants blueberries is welcome to come get some.  The ground is good and wet which makes them easier to get up with more attached roots.  Now until February when they start blooming.  You will need several different varieties.  Just PM me for directions and a time I will be here.
No,  I will not dig them up and bring them to the Christmas party.  I will be coming in the car, not the truck.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »
January is when I put epsom salts on my blueberries.  Magnesium is a trace element, so just a little bit is all you need.  It makes the berries bigger....Works on any fruit - tomatoes.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 06:08:52 AM »
Due to the weather patterns this year February has been very warn compared to normal.  Here is S. Georgia US the early flowers are blooming.  My blueberries are in full bloom.  My potatoes are trying to come up, so I put more dirt/leaf combination over them.  The 4 rows of corn are just breaking the ground.  That prompted me to look at a 10 day forecast on the weather channel.  I see where on March 5 & 6 I am suppose to get 27 Deg F low temps.  That will most definitely mean a heavy frost.  I can replant corn, but I will loose all the early and middle blueberries.  How do I know?  Well a couple years ago we had a warm February and a March frost and it is happening again....The good news is the late blue berries will still bloom & make and we will have plenty.  We just won't have as many people come & pick.
This year I transplanted 15 new blueberry bushes. 

Searchboss

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »
Here in Middle Georgia we are having a similar issue. All of our blueberry bushes are budding and blooming early. We plan to cover them with tarps or blankets to try to keep the frost off of them. Time will tell. Like RWS, we lost most of the blooms to a late frost a couple of years ago. We still had berries in the summer, but only about 1/3 of what we would normally get. My wife wants to try to make some jam and jelly again this year, so we would like a bumper crop, if possible. Keep an eye on the weather if you have outdoor plants.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »
I am sending a picture of my early blueberry bush.  It was blooming in February.  Here it is mid April and the last ?? blooms are blooming.   In years when we had a freeze and lost the early blueberries, this bush bloomed again and I had some later berries.  Maybe it just blooms for 2 months.  I don't know.  I just have close to 100 blueberry bushes.  Looks like there will be plenty to share come mid June thru mid July.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 02:04:01 PM »
My wife alerted me to blueberries about to be ripe on that same blueberry bush pictured above.  They are starting to turn blue but still are a little tart.  They need to ripen a little more to be sweet.  We usually don't get any of these early ones as the birds find them fast.  Later on I have so many ripening the birds can't get them all.  Maybe I can bring something to campout with blueberries in it.  I see the wife has printed out a blueberry/lemon cake recipe over on the printer.

Starlady

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 07:15:53 PM »
Mine are still green, time to get the bird netting out.  My 7 bushes aren't big enough for me to share yet.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
Mine are still green, time to get the bird netting out.  My 7 bushes aren't big enough for me to share yet.
If you lived close  enough, you could come pick a few gallons here.  We invite locals to come pick and please bring children as they need the experience.

Starlady

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
I would love to, but that would be a long ride! 

I have a neighbor with one huge bush & she doesn't freeze them.  I get over 1/2 her bush plus my small 7 and still never get enough......BTW, the bird netting is to keep the DOG out of them!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal