Author Topic: I need to get out of the city  (Read 2668 times)

SS-Preppers

I need to get out of the city
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
So the wife and I go out to dinner last night.....head home around 8:00 pm.  As we are almost home, we are passed by 3 police cars.....full lights and sirens.....and they we moving with a purpose......we live in Sandy Springs on Roswell Road....we see police and FD vehicles going up and down the road all the time, but this time these guys were moving.....as we get to out community there are already 7 patrol cars in the parking lot at the Walgreens.....car blocking both exits and cars at the front doors.....We pull into our community and up to the house.....our front door is about 100 yards from the front door of the Walgreens.....as I get out of the truck, I car hear the sirens of at least 3 other patrol car inbound......it's very obvious that this is not someone having a health emergency inside the store....I have my S&W Shield pulled and at the low ready position as I exit the truck.....I tell my wife to have her phone ready and to hang back......she knows the drill, if she hears me yell or hears a shot, call 911........unfortunately, she did not have her Glock 19 on here....if she did I would have taken her Glock and given her the Shield.....LOL.  Long story short, I walk around the house (no sign of forced entry) and then enter the house and clear it......no signs of forced entry and no bad guys hiding anywhere.  I find out this morning that 3 perps robbed the Walgreens (2 of the 3 were armed) and when they left the store they opened fire in the parking lot apparently targeting another car.

I am really tired of living in the city.......the convenience store one block away from the house was just robbed back in December.....I know it happens everywhere, but this is way too often and way to close to my own front door......I keep tabs on the local blotter etc and it seems like the crime just continues to get worse......back in the day it was mostly just auto break-ins and burglaries......slowly but surely we have been seeing more assaults, drug arrests, armed robbery (to include several bank robberies) etc. that involve armed criminals......hell, we have even had a few murders (fortunately they are few are far between, but we still have had some).

Sorry to vent, but I am just over living in the city......we are making plans to move, but with job complications and having a house to sell it is going way slower than we would like.......it gets very tiring when you feel like you have to be hyper vigilant all the time....even just sitting in your own home.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:48:16 PM by SS-Preppers »

Lilburner

Re: I need to get out of the city
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
Wow you ARE entrenched in the beast!

Good luck, man!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
I hear that! Monday I was driving down highway 92 between highway 9 and Crabapple Rd. when I was passed by a cop car sirens and blue lights going. A few minutes later a big ladder truck goes by and a minute after that three more cop cars go speeding. I never did figure out what happened.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

engineer3d

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 05:04:36 PM »
Try https://www.crimemapping.com/. Put in your address and types of crimes you want to be alerted to in 1/2 mile of your home. I use violent and thieving crimes.
Drug stores, like liquor stores & gun stores, are prime targets b/c they have drugs & money. I bet a lot of their employees will be applying for concealed carry permits. The best security is being able to defend yourself.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
Try https://www.crimemapping.com/. Put in your address and types of crimes you want to be alerted to in 1/2 mile of your home. I use violent and thieving crimes.
Drug stores, like liquor stores & gun stores, are prime targets b/c they have drugs & money. I bet a lot of their employees will be applying for concealed carry permits. The best security is being able to defend yourself.

I try that one.....I am currently using spotcrime.com, it sends text messages to my phone, but it has gotten spotty at best over the last several months....thanks for the tip!

upacreek

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »
Not everything gets recorded.  I had a break in a couple years ago.  Coincidentally, the only night I was supposed to leave while my floors were drying after being sanded and stained.  Long story short, 2 men were just an inside door away from an armed and angry me while my boys were hiding in a closet calling 911.  Since I screamed the Northern equivalent of "Please leave, y'all," the men were gone before the cops arrived.  They asked 1 question - when was my birthday.  Never asked about the men working there earlier in the day.  Never cleared the 2nd floor.  Never filed any report.  They told me that I must have left a door open and it was probably nothing.  They were gone faster than the crooks.

This just adds to your happy scenario.  As bad as it seems, it's probably worse.  Sorry you had that scare last night!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

9mmMike

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
I have a nice 3br/2b home with backup generator, water cache ent system with UV filtration, and 7 acres also has full unfinished basement for sale in Turtletown, Tn if you are interested.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
I live in the country.  That said, if I lived in the city I would probably get an apartment.  That way I could have a bug out location in the country.  A garden seems to be a necessity.  This picture explains what I am trying to say.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj1V-nIUYAA69G3.jpg

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
I don’t think you could pay me enough to live in the city again. We live in a town with a population of around 1000 people and will be moving further out soon. I absolutely love small town life. Sure, I have to commute to work, but I don’t mind one bit.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Gunner

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 01:19:15 AM »
We moved out about 10 years ago.... wow it has been a while... got us 2.5 ac of land out near the middle of nowhere..... its real quiet out here...I love it, and we have adjusted to it rather well. Glad that we made the move
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »

Just tried that site for the past year and the largest range it allows (2 miles) with no reported incidents of any type.       

I pulled up crime statics for this area (within 5 miles of me) on a different site last year and in the previous 10 years no murders, a few assaults, and few home break ins.       If I remember correctly 2 sexual crimes but one of them was a 18 yr old dating a 15 yr old (they had been dating for months) and her parents filed charges.      I do know there was a rash of ATV thefts a few miles away two years ago but they got the guy.     So for a 10 year period I think we're pretty low crime in this semi- rural area.

The sheriff rides down this road maybe once a year.      I can't remember the last time I heard a police siren while at home.

Last year I flagged the Sheriff down as he made his annual trip by my home and asked him why they didn't patrol this area more.       He said there was virtually no crime here but they had to patrol every road at least once a year to show they were providing protection for the area. 
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

9mmMike

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »
Here in NC we get some simple thievery but few serious crimes. The couple times I have had alarms when away it was due to improperly locked fence doors blowing open. The police showed up quickly and did a full sweep. If you really want out of Atlanta, I have 20 acres waiting to be developed in North Alabama I wil sell you!

1scout

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
i have live in the country since i was 14 and no way would I ever go back to the city.  Thankfully I now have a small parcel of land in the country and we have virtually 0 crime here. It's nice to know I can go to sleep and not have to lock my doors. It's not much but if you haven't found a place to go yet, and you don't mind living in a camper, I have places for those who have campers and are willing to live in them. There are no hookups but there are ways to work around that for those willing to learn to live off the grid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal