Author Topic: Stock market  (Read 3635 times)

upacreek

Stock market
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:58 PM »
Anyone else get nervous when the stock market takes a dive like the last couple days?  A financial adviser I know has been telling me for the last couple of years that we're due for a serious correction , but it still gets my blood pumping a bit faster. 

When would you start getting nervous?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

Re: Stock market
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
At my age, I'd take my profits and run.

At your age, I'd take 1/2 my profits and run then ride the rest out for another 10-15 yrs or so.

Unless you think SHTF happens before then.......then take the money,  run AND hide!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Country Singer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
Technically, today wasn't even a "correction" because the loss was only about 5%.  It's not considered a correction until the loss is at 10%.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

upacreek

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
That's what the financial planner said too, Country Singer.  The big correction he was talking about would be bigger than 10% too.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
Since I am not as independently as some on here, I don't play in the markets. Never had.......just sayin
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

engineer3d

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
The Dow Jones was 19,732 on 1/20/17 when President DJT was sworn in.
It rose to 26,616 on 1/26/18.
It is still at 24,345 or over 4,600 points above the inauguration value.

upacreek,
The DJIA will probably go down more as the big institutional investors sell stocks and buy bonds. Bonds don't pay as much, but they are safer and their yields are rising. Your investment firm has probably already switched more of your investment into bonds.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:09:52 PM by engineer3d »

Nemo

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »
Only real thing to do with the market is to put your money with one of the big institutional guys (hunt for cheapest costs) and look at it when you start.  Look again in 5 years.  And 5 more.

Or buy gold and put in by the second post from the left in the back fence.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

joebob

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
Only real thing to do with the market is to put your money with one of the big institutional guys (hunt for cheapest costs) and look at it when you start.  Look again in 5 years.  And 5 more.

Or buy gold and put in by the second post from the left in the back fence.

Nemo
How did you know where I buried my stash ???????????????????

Nemo

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Thats where they all go.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:43:16 AM »
The signs of the times are upon us.  What to do with my stocks ???  Are un-realized gains better than an investment in food, shelter and energy supply?  For sure the city should be abandoned.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/01/04/preview-of-the-chaos-to-come-in-2019-and-2020/

primitive

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 10:33:17 PM »
Does anybody follow Peter Schiff? He's super bearish on the economy and stocks and I feel he does a pretty good job explaining why at least once or twice a week.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SchiffReport

I've been trying to convince my dad to get out of his stocks while there's still time, but it's hard to convince someone to do that when things keep going up. I think that's about to change very soon, but I've been saying that for the last ten years, so who knows. Better to be ten years early than a day late, as they say, though.

Starlady

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »
This guy & his affiliated friends have been saying the sky is falling for over 20 years. 

Even a broken clock.....etc.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

primitive

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
Well, he did predict the last recession, although I think he started calling it shortly after the 2001 crash, so the broken clock argument is certainly valid. I think it comes down to whether or not you think increasing levels of debt (national, corporate, or consumer varieties) are becoming a problem. If they are, then I think his arguments make sense, but predicting the future is always risky business.

My amateur opinion is that a variety of fundamental economic indicators are telling us that the economy is running out of momentum, and at some point, the stock market is going to be dragged down with it, therefore I think it's time to be nervous. Just my take on it. This is something I follow closely, so I thought I would chime in. I should probably spend more time on preps and skills.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal