Author Topic: Amateur Radio Net Listing  (Read 29115 times)

Lilburner

Re: Amateur Radio Net Listing
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
Everything is so VHS-centric around here in terms of Gwinnett, Stone Mountain, and Jasper, I took the plunge on the dual band so I could carry one radio at a time.

Lilburner,
Do you know how it was used in Irma and will it work for us? Is it worth investing in? Also, how does Zillo work and what range will it cover with and w/o cell towers?

My experience wasn't firsthand as I was running Skywarn  nets on VHS and UHF, but the story goes that HF was unusable, so D-Star wound up filling in for HF.

Zello is an app - 100% internet. It was a big hit in the hurricanes as long as there was service available.

The advantage of D-Star and presumably other digital models over conventional internet communications is that it doesn't have to inject at your immediate location and there are options. If you had a situation in Lawrenceville in which grid/internet was down, you could talk through Stone Mountain.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

TangoAlpha03

Re: Amateur Radio Net Listing
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 09:28:41 PM »
Metro Atlanta AMRRON Net Tuesday at 2000hrs ET on the WA4ASI repeater 146.925mhz - offset, PL 88.5 and on Echolink node# 6925 You dont have to be an AmRRON member to check in
"Happy is he who dares courageously to defend what he loves." Publius Ovidius Naso (43 BC – 17 AD)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal