Author Topic: Alkaline Batteries  (Read 232 times)

engineer3d

Alkaline Batteries
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »

aces

• Bag Half Empty
Re: Alkaline Batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »
Amazon Basics size D alkaline batteries are on sale for about 1/2 price today.  This size is becoming less common, but I use them in my boombox and my old, extra-long Maglite (more like "ball bat light".)

Per Clarkdeals.com:

"Right now, you can grab a 12-pack of AmazonBasics D alkaline batteries for $5.39 as an add-on item. Amazon normally sells these batteries for $11.99, so thatís a 55% savings. This a really great deal! Samís Club is selling a 10 pack of Duracell alkaline D batteries for $14.48, which is $9 more than Amazonís price.

This 12-pack of AmazonBasics D alkaline batteries has a 3-year shelf life. "

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH4QKP6?tag=clarkcom06-20

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:25 AM »
Harbor Freight has their AA or AAA heavy dutys in a buy anything get a 24 pack free with the coupon.  That is available on the website.

As far as the must purchase something I frequently get the little 79 cent 5 pound weight limit biner, if I can find nothing else I can use.

I use those for routine around the house stuff.  Yes I have to change batteries once a month instead of once in 6 months but when they are free I can change batteries.

That also lets me keep the long life ones in storage and make purchases on those when the price is really great.  Like aces noted above.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:46 AM »
Unfortunately those Harbor freight free "heavy duty" batteries are not alkaline and some things run better or will only run on alkaline.  On other posts about batteries on this site, others have said they don't last very well which has  been my experience too.  If I don't have a coupon for a different free item (love the blue magnetic LED lights better), then I get these, but they won't run anything but my flashlights.

Searchboss

• New Bugout Bag
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »
Good tips people! Please keep posting when you come across good deals like these.

I usually keep a minimum stock of around 50 AA and 30 AAA alkaline batteries as well as some other sizes on hand. That way I always have enough to change out the batteries in all the the things that need them like smoke detectors, clocks, and flashlights, etc. I used to stock more, but they started leaking over time in storage so I cut back. Quality has improved a lot over the years so I may increase my stock this year. In my preps, I now store batteries in a plastic zip-lock bag "with" things that need them instead of "in" the item. That way the batteries are readily available and will not damage the item (flashlight, radio, etc.) if one of the batteries leaks.

Batteries seem to be one of those things that most people do not think about until they suddenly need to be replaced. We always include the batteries when we give gifts that require them so they can be used right away. I am always amazed that people do not keep at least some on hand, but experience has shown they do not. Ironically, when the power went out last summer (for 4 days due to downed trees during a hurricane) my next door neighbor came over to our house about 30 minutes after sunset and asked if he could "borrow" some batteries for his only two flashlights which had died! Talk about not being prepared! Sadly, he was not interested in talking about getting himself more prepared...

Last year I started buying 2300 mAh AA and 800 mAh rechargeable NiMH batteries to store with most of my equipment since I can recharge them using commercial or solar power. I am always looking for a sale on these!

engineer3d

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
aces,
If you can find a deal on a Panasonic KJ17MCC82A Eneloop Power Pack, they come with C & D spacers so you can power your large tube flashlights w/ AA batteries. You place an AA battery in the center of the spacer and the rest of it fills up the large tube and keeps the AA centered. Spacers were expensive when I was looking for them. The following are for illustration only - they're not a very good deal.
I'm trying to simplify to LED lights, radios, etc, that use AA or AAA batteries. There is a Baofeng UV5R battery pack that uses 5 AA batteries and a dummy batt. 6 AA batts overpower it.

Product Title8 Panasonic Eneloop Spacers 4 C Size Spacers, and 4 D Size Spacers, for Use with Eneloop Ni-MH Rechargeable AA Battery Cells + Battery Case
Price
$21.71

Product TitlePanasonic KJ17MCC82A Eneloop Power Pack for 8AA, 2AAA, 2 C Spacers, 2 D Spacers, Advanced Individual Battery Charger
Price
$39.57

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=D%20battery%20spacer

engineer3d

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BL-5-AA-Battery-BF-F8HP/dp/B00LAPTWE4

This is the case I was talking about + the dummy battery. You can use 6 rechargeable batteries b/c they're only 1.2 volt each for a total of 7.2 volts of electromotive force. 5 alkaline batteries at 1.5 volt each have a total of 7.5 volts. The UV 5R normally has a 7.4 volt battery.
The disclaimer, of the 4th thumbnail down, on the right says the radio will receive w/ 6 alkaline batteries but won't transmit w/ a total voltage of 9.0 volts ( 6 X 1.5 v each ). 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:18:52 PM by engineer3d »

wiseguy

• Full Bugout Bag
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 08:17:58 PM »
More expensive, but rechargeable batteries are a real option.  These batteries can be recharged 2100 times and keep 70% of their power over 10 years of non-use. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKSN6C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JHKSN6C&linkCode=as2&tag=knowledgepubc-20&linkId=G753EVQNH4MIXO73

Here is a charger that will charge the batteries in 2 hours.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQMKDS/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000LQMKDS&linkCode=as2&tag=knowledgepubc-20

Total investment of $70.00 and you have 2100 charges on 12 batteries.  That's .002 per battery over their life span.  If you only get half that life you are still doing well, and the big cost is the charger that you would only have to buy once...unless you buy a second to be sure that you are not 100% reliant on a single point of failure.  2 is 1....