Author Topic: Too early to be this warm in NGA  (Read 582 times)

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Too early to be this warm in NGA
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
Except for the grapes & pears, all my fruit trees and bushes are budding out. . .Before I even got a chance to prune them!  Guess I'll to drop everything else I'm doing and get that done asap.

Our last average frost is in April.  Gonna be a bad year for fruit if we get another freeze in the next two months.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

engineer3d

Re: Too early to be this warm in NGA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:27:40 PM »
February is our coldest month, so you know we're going to get more freezing weather before spring. Prep for it.

RWS

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »
I am told that with the current solar minimums to be on the lookout for alternating warm/cold spells that could be severe enough to play havoc on crops.  That said I have not been able to plant second row of English peas or plant potatoes due to the constant rain.

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
Last year it got warm early (peaches budded) and then cold so no peaches.       This year I've got some tarps to toss over the small trees in an attempt to protect the buds if it gets cold next month.

RWS

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
After the cold January, February is too warm.  My blueberries are in full bloom.  This happened last year also and a late freeze took out half of my blueberries.  I am told that this is typical of a Grand Solar Minimum weather pattern.  I normally don't plant corn until the last of March.  I got some Burpees Golden Bantam corn.  It said it was cold tollerent.  I am going to find out how cold tollerent it is.  The seed pack was 200 seeds, so I planted 4 rows of 50 seeds, close spaced rows.  At this point in time, seeds are still available from the store, so if I have to replant, no problem.  I finally got the potatoes in the ground also.

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »
The old timers' rule was that you could plant any warm weather crops on Good Friday. It is a crazy spring. :)
Ravenwood

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »
My favorite weatherman because of his explanations and higher accuracy rate is Kirk Mellish on WSB Radio in Atlanta (750 AM/95.5 FM).  His blog shows the latest frost dates map of Georgia,  and the crazy Jetstream pattern that is causing uncertainty about whether we will get freezes or snow later in March (like the blizzard of 1993 that I will never forget for many reasons.)

http://kirkmellish.blog.wsbradio.com/2018/02/22/weather-change-still-looms/

Not getting our trees pruned before this past week was not good for us and ours either!!

RWS

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
I lost half of my blueberries last year due to a late freeze.  This year I am afraid I will loose them all.  I can always replant my garden, but blueberries will have to wait until next year.

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »
I am not on Twitter, and for full disclosure, I heard this on WSB radio.

WSB TV weatherman Glenn Burns must either see the same thing Kirk Mellish does or he is reading his blog.
Burns just tweeted that we could see freezing temps the same as last year around the 10-12th of March in the
20s and 30s.

RWS

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
Yes.  That is consistent with a Grand Solar Minimum weather pattern.  I was thinking the cold spell would be last week in March.  That is when the 1860s Fair will be at Fort Yargo State Park.  That would be my luck.

8greenbeans

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »
Any experienced tips on protecting buds on a well-established apple tree? I'm reading some stuff but nothing is better than good ole local experience.

USMC Veteran, Blue Star USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans (30b, 26b, 25b, 24g, 22g, 19g, 17b, 15g)
5 GrandBeans (4yob, 2yob, 1yog, 1yob, 1yob)
4 Beans-in-law ({1}30g, {3}24g, {4}31b, & {5}23b)
1 MrBeans

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
We should skate by without too much frost in outlying areas this first weekend of March.
But they are forecasting a hard freeze for next Friday night and weekend.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
We're looking at 32F tomorrow night, 31F on Wednesday and 29F Thursday night over here in the great northwest.  That's for the town near me but I'm a tad warmer on the side of a small mountain.  The rest of the nights will be over 34, so I might skate by.   I'm hoping!  Everything now is either budding, blooming or just finished blooming.  I want so bad to have ONE year where I can get some fruit from everything I've put in, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Just got a new seedless muscadine in with some raspberries and have some regular muscadines that I rooted from a neighbor's plants - all of which I was going to plant tomorrow but I guess I'll have to put 'em in pots for the week.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

8greenbeans

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 12:37:20 AM »
Checked the buds on the apple tree and compared to the photo graphic complete with the low temps they will survive at. Looks like apple is fine.

The plum though is chock full of blooms so it is covered as best my cousin and I could get it.... with 2 flat sheets, 2 fitted sheets, and about 6 beach towels. I can only hope what we did get covered is good enough.

USMC Veteran, Blue Star USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans (30b, 26b, 25b, 24g, 22g, 19g, 17b, 15g)
5 GrandBeans (4yob, 2yob, 1yog, 1yob, 1yob)
4 Beans-in-law ({1}30g, {3}24g, {4}31b, & {5}23b)
1 MrBeans

Gunner

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 01:30:06 AM »
I think that I may have to have a burn off in the garden to get things started out there this year....we may not have the time to prep everything out there!... but the burn will fix a lot !
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia