Author Topic: Made my 1st salve today!  (Read 112 times)

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Made my 1st salve today!
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
Usnea.

This stuff is awesome!  Anti-fungal, antibiotic, excellent to make a tincture (which I did already) for sinus/cold infections and the salve for shallow cuts and scrapes.

Thanks to 8greenbeans for pointing out that I had it.............it's growing on every oak tree I have!  Google it, you probably do, too.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Trillium

Re: Made my 1st salve today!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:15 PM »
Usnea is one of my new faves as well.  Would you mind sharing how you made the salve?

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
Stuff a jar, pint or whatever will fit what you can collect.   Fill it with olive oil & cap very loosely.  Put a washcloth in the bottom of the crockpot, put the jar on top, add water to the pot as much as you can but not enough to tip the jar.  Cook on low for 4 full days.  Strain out the olive oil and add 2 oz of beeswax for each cup of oil.  Melt it all together and pour in very small jars.  Label & store in dark, cool, etc.  Supposed to be good for a year.

I used a pint jar and ended up with just under a pint of salve.  The beeswax almost made up the difference after straining out the usnea.

Use a spoon to take out what you need (a little goes a loooooooong way) to keep the contents clean.

Saves on those expensive triple antibiotic ointments for scratches, etc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:03:59 PM by Starlady »
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
Awesome.  Thank you so much for sharing.  I see a foraging hike in the near future for me.  Usnea grows slow so I don't want to harvest too much on our land.  I'd rather save what is close by for times when travel might be harder.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
You're very welcome.

Now that it's had over a day to harden up, I think next time I'll back the beeswax down to 1.75 oz per cup of oil, it's just a tad harder than I'd like.   The tendency will be to take too much out and since it melts on your skin, a piece about twice the size of the head of a pin will do for most scratches - that's going to be easier to do when it's softer.

8greenbeans

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
If you add a few drops of tincture (or just plain alcohol) it will help it to last longer as well!

If it is too hard, then melt it back down and add a bit of oil to it plus a little bit of the tincture!

I'm really glad you are using it :D

USMC Veteran, Blue Star USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans (29b, 26b, 25b, 23g, 22g, 19g, 17b, 14g)
5 GrandBeans (3yob, 2yob, 1yog, 1yob, 1yob)
4 Beans-in-law (31b, 30g, 24g, & 22b)
1 MrBeans