Author Topic: Testing the Usnea Salve  (Read 423 times)

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Testing the Usnea Salve
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
Now I know why they call it Firethorn!

Thought I had suckers coming from the bottom of 2 pear trees while finishing up the pruning today.  Holy smokes that stuff stings!   Here I've been looking for it for a couple of years to block off some areas on the edge of my property but they've been expensive $25 for a small pot.    Next time I see it, I'll be trying to root some, lol.

But the Usnea stopped the burn in about 5 minutes and the red is going away after only 20.  #worthit!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SS-Preppers

Re: Testing the Usnea Salve
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
Cool.....I know it is a grest antifungal, but had no idea it could be used with such fast results.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
Yeah, I only put it on to prevent infection at the scratches, had no idea it would stop the burn.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:28:09 AM »
I did not know about the antifungal properties! Now I know how to help Dad from the inside as well as outside treatment after doing a little more studying on the subject. Thanks, SS!

Great to hear, Star! I had no idea that it could stop the burn either! This right here is why I *love* people to share their experiences. So much is gleaned from personal experiences that cannot be learned from book study.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Blue Star Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
More Usnea results:

A certain person (not me) got a slight burn at Campout and this not only took the burn away, but she didn't get any kind of a blister.

Another person, (ME!) picked up a chigger while visiting someone yesterday.  Put the Usnea on -  I figured it wouldn't stop the itch, but certainly would prevent an infection - because I had been scratching at it through my jeans & roughened up skin pretty well.   Red is almost gone and with a reapplication every 5 hrs or so.....NO ITCH!

Have I said how much I love this stuff?!!

8greenbeans

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
I'm sold! Gonna make salve now!

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Blue Star Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
For those who don't know what it looks like.    Yes, I can hear you now "Oh, THAT stuff....yeah I have it!".

And if you aren't into herbal things, it's great tinder when it dries - I just leave it right on the branches.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:35:11 AM by Starlady »

florida44

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
at my house when you burn yourself on the toaster oven or whatever we automatically reach for the Usnea salve now. It is awesome and takes the sting right out!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei