Author Topic: Smartflower Solar  (Read 329 times)

aces

• Bag Half Empty
Smartflower Solar
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
I wish I could afford this solar array that consists of fan-like blades that fan out and follow the sun like a sunflower.
I saw this on LinkedIn from one of my engineering contacts.  I have not explored the cost or reviews yet, but I will update this post if I have time tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it.

https://www.smartflower.com/en

RWS

Re: Smartflower Solar
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
That's very similar to what an outfit in Michigan had 15 years ago.  They did not use a fold out arrangement of solar panels, but a fixed array.  It looked more like a sun flower and tracked.  I believe they used Array Technologies tracking control & motor.  I have two of their tracking arrays that have the standard panels.

aces

• Bag Half Empty
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
Thanks RWS.  Are they still in business?  Sounds like not since you used past tense? :)

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
The Smartflower has been discussed on a solar forum I sometimes visit.       The general consensus is a concern for the durability of the panels with the way they are mounted and it's extremely expensive and small output compared to just building a traditional solar system.

RWS

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
The Smartflower has been discussed on a solar forum I sometimes visit.       The general consensus is a concern for the durability of the panels with the way they are mounted and it's extremely expensive and small output compared to just building a traditional solar system.
I agree.  I noticed the frameless design of the panels also.  Makes me skepticle of durability.  I would just get a tracker from Array Technologies in New Mexico.  Use the Watt Sun web site.

I do not know about the solar retailer in Michigan.  It has been many years.
http://www.wattsun.com/                        You need open horizons East & West to get all the advantages of tracking.