Author Topic: Any reason to keep pine trees?  (Read 2326 times)

Lilburner

Any reason to keep pine trees?
« on: March 03, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »
I have three in my "yard", but down close to the road.

They're mature, maybe good for stringing antenna, but that's about all.

I keep thinking that area would be better served by fruit, nuts, or raised beds.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Any reason to keep pine trees?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
I use a lot of pine straw for my garden and blueberries.  The wife uses it in her flower beds.  We also use all of our leaves.  Other than that sell them to a logger.  I know, I did a funny.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
If the pines serve no close-in or long distance privacy, blueberries would certainly appreciate that acidic soil - especially since they are mature.  It takes 3 years for pine needles to break down enough to affect the ph, so you are good to go.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »
If the pines serve no close-in or long distance privacy, blueberries would certainly appreciate that acidic soil - especially since they are mature.  It takes 3 years for pine needles to break down enough to affect the ph, so you are good to go.
Blueberries take full sunshine, so if you cut them down like Star said it might be the place to plant a row for privacy and fruit.

Jinga_Din

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
If ya had more you could tap them for the resin and make tirpintine

cope

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
pine tree needles can make a good tea full of vitamin c. Basket weaving with pine needles can create beautiful baskets and its a free craft you can do.  pine resin makes good fire starter. Turpentine can be made from pine trees. Used to see old v cuts in old pine trees in South Georgia where people would collect the sap or resin to make turpentine.

primitive

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
Any native pine tree in Georgia has edible inner bark, which supposedly has tons of nutrients including fat and protein. If they're older loblollies, you may have to climb to get to the younger branches, which would make them less useful. If they're white pine, that's kind of rare for metro Atlanta, so you might keep them around for that reason. White pines can be useful for fire-making in addition to edible bark. Virginia pine is where fat lighter comes from.

Make sure you cook the inner bark if you're eating more than a couple small pieces.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal