Author Topic: Scalable solar system on a budget.  (Read 2225 times)

Lilburner

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

revckd

Re: Scalable solar system on a budget.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:43:58 PM »
Good Info thanks. I am more confident is my choice now. I went with this Renogy starter kit: https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100w-12v/starter-kit/ It has a 100 watt panel and 30 amp charge controller. It will include two 108 Ah 6v AMG from Sam's at $118 each and the 2k from HF (have not purchased these items yet. If someone knows of a change I need to make, chime in)

Grand total $590

revckd
KM4PHQ

Bellatores et Venatores in Christo
A prudent person foresees danger ahead and takes precautions. ~ Proverbs 27:12

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
Better than nothing.  You might look around for a charge controller that will do 12/24 or 48 VDC so as your system grows you can use the same charge controller.  Just a thought.  As you can tell I am always for starting at 48 V DC as I rebuilt my system three times and finally got up to 48 VDC.  But you do need to test the water.
I do use the Renogy 100 watt portable fold out panels (2 x 50watt) to charge the cabin battery on my camper.  Works great.  I used them at the Spring camp out.

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:33:48 AM »
The article in the OP doesn't conceder system efficiencies which are generally around 77%.        But he may get away with it because the author either has the world's most inefficient refrigerator or he's just using the plate max current draw on the refrigerator's plate instead of actually using the watt meter he suggested in the article.

When considering how much electricity something uses think in watts, not amps.      Watts are the true measure of electricity used, not amps.     

I was a little unsure when reading the article if the appliances were using 12 amps at 120V (1440 watts) from the inverter or 12 amps at the roughly 70 volts from the panels (840 watts) or 12v from the  12v battery (144 watts).      Amps and volts can vary but a Watt is a finite measurement of electricty.

If you think about electricity as water in a pipe then Watts would be the water, the actual volume or water (electricity) you are moving.     Volts would be the water pressure in the pipe (or wire) and Amps would be how large the pipe is.      Watts are the actual measure of energy used.

Volts X Amps = Watts
Watts / Volts = Amps
Watts / Amps = Volts
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

revckd

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 07:21:19 AM »
Better than nothing.  You might look around for a charge controller that will do 12/24 or 48 VDC so as your system grows you can use the same charge controller.  Just a thought.  As you can tell I am always for starting at 48 V DC as I rebuilt my system three times and finally got up to 48 VDC.  But you do need to test the water.
I do use the Renogy 100 watt portable fold out panels (2 x 50watt) to charge the cabin battery on my camper.  Works great.  I used them at the Spring camp out.
Yep, the plan is to use this controller for a couple years as the system grows and then get a bigger one that will do multiple VDC. Then store this one as a back up or start another system, maybe for the farm pump on the back 40.

Question: Has anyone used a HF inverter and are they any good or are they just junk... maybe its just me but I am always a little leery about Chinese products

John Galt 1 - I like the analogy about water & watts! Good thought to remember
revckd
KM4PHQ

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Question: Has anyone used a HF inverter and are they any good or are they just junk... maybe its just me but I am always a little leery about Chinese products
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
High Frequency inverters (HF switching freq) do a good job as long as the loads are small in comparison to the inverter size.  Their down side is they do not have much if any surge current capability needed for motor starting.  They have high efficency.
Low Frequency inverters have lots of surge current capability but lower efficiency.
My home inverter uses both and mixes so I get decent efficentcy  and good surge current capability.

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
I assumed he meant Harbor Freight.

I have a 2000 and a 3000, as well as some of the smaller plug-in ones.

I use them some - no real problems - never really taxed them. They do fine. Wouldn't stake my whole apocalypse on them.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

revckd

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:10:28 AM »
I assumed he meant Harbor Freight.

Yea, Harbor Freight, Sorry & thanks again for the great info & pointers guys
revckd
KM4PHQ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal