Author Topic: 40 Year Old Mountain House?  (Read 3616 times)

Country Singer

40 Year Old Mountain House?
« on: March 31, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »
I got tipped off to another blog, Commander Zero, who is situated up in Montana.  Whilst perusing his posts, I ran across this one, which links to another blog where they tested out some 40 year old Mountain House cans.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Hobbit In Arms

Re: 40 Year Old Mountain House?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
It's encouraging that freeze dried can stretch beyond the advertised shelf life.

Abigayle

Re: 40 Year Old Mountain House?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 05:41:04 PM »
I have tried six different brands.  My over-all favorite is Mountain House.  I like the Beef Stroganoff, and Sweet and Sour Pork.  Yoder's bacon is wonderful, but just good for ten years.  I really prefer to can my own Beef Stroganoff (Daisy Luther) Hungarian 
Goulash (same author, The Preppers canning guide).  Tess Pennington, The Preppers Cookbook, as some good stuff.  You can make up your own recipes, just use common sense, like using a pressure canner, unless water bath is indicated.  Just pressure can for the amount of time that the ingredient with the most time calls for....usually meat, if it is included.  Be careful with your herbs, as the flavors change and "grow" with time.  I like to put little notes in my recipes reminding me to use some sour cream, or whatever....when I pop open the can and reheat.  When canning with your pressure cooker, soak some beans and follow a Boston Baked bean recipe.  You can add your those to any extra spaces in you canner and they will be cooked, or cooked enough.  If we are without power, we won't want to use whatever heat source we have to cook beans all day long.  We will also be busy....Just a thought.  Don't forget to can your extra ham in pint jars, after the holidays.  They go great with those beans and thrown in with some scrambled eggs in the morning.  A pint goes a long way, as they tend to get a little more salty with canning.  You can also dehydrate your own potatoes and put some powered milk, and cheese, along with dehydrated onion together to make some great scalloped potatoes.  Check on line for exact recipes. Guess I got off track...Mountain House and Mine....not in that order...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal