Author Topic: USDA Summer Meals for Kids Information  (Read 181 times)

aces

• Bag Half Empty
USDA Summer Meals for Kids Information
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
No politics replies on this one please.  I know it's a shame it's necessary, but it's a boon to some kids who cannot be blamed for their circumstances 99% of the time.
(Parents might be another story, but many of them are not always as blessed as they planned so they could do better.)

I work with the mortgage side of the USDA for 100% home loans in qualifying communities for low-income families (not an ad for me since I am not a salesperson!)
This message came in through our newsfeed today:

News and Updates from the Georgia State Office of USDA Rural Development 
Rural Development Georgia | 355 East Hancock Ave | Athens, Georgia 30601 | https://www.rd.usda.gov/ga
Nutritious free meals are available for children and teens 18 and younger at many locations throughout the nation throughout the summer while school is out of session. Use the mapping tool at https://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks to find a site near you!

If your organization would like information about how to sponsor or provide a site for serving summer meals, contact Deborah.Callahan@ga.usda.gov (706) 552-2595 or Shani.Drake@decal.ga.gov. Two training and information webinars are coming up to support sites and sponsors of the Summer Meals program:
•   May 15, Tuesday, 1:00 pm - Boosting Your Budget – Summer Meals Financial Planning
•   June 14, Thursday, 1:00 pm - Middle of Summer Strategies

In other USDA news, they have business classes, rural broadband link up classes for community leaders, and grants to fight the opioid crisis.
Now you can comment on that politically :) 

Not what you would expect from "Agriculture" would you?  But they do this in RURAL communities and some of it does impinge on resources for farming.

Just a "FARM" gril at heart.  Now I must get back to "digging" in my "salt mine" until I can get home to water my tomatoe plants (my only urban farming effort at the moment
other than keeping critters and bugs out of my fig tree.)

HogJowlHomestead

Re: USDA Summer Meals for Kids Information
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:55:58 AM »
Thanks for the information, im suprised there are none in my area.

With the rising cost of gas and food (real food not corn syrup products) things will only get worse.