Author Topic: Off the grid power for a server  (Read 5128 times)

Asia_Off_Grid

Re: Off the grid power for a server
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Hi,

I'm curious as to what you ended up doing? Did your idea pan out like you had hoped?
Paul

9mmMike

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 08:41:08 PM »
Got the platform frame finished. Now just need to trim the support poles, put on the decking and then i can actually start on the solar part of the project.

9mmMike

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Got the chainsaw running for the first time this year, trimmed the support posts and put on the decking. Plan on putting together the battery/inverter/charge controller box tomorrow and then start building the array stand.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:39 AM »
Got the chainsaw running for the first time this year, trimmed the support posts and put on the decking. Plan on putting together the battery/inverter/charge controller box tomorrow and then start building the array stand.
If you put the inverter in a box, make it a big box or add cooling.  They don't like to be closed up very tight...

9mmMike

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
Already thought of that. Got the biggest deck box they had and also got a solar powered 4 inch vent fan for it.

9mmMike

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 09:20:14 PM »
Got the deck box built, installed a deck 4 inches off the bottom and placed the batteries in it. Tomorrow I hope to get the inverter and charge controller and vent fan installed.

John Galt 1

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
I used to use that same box for a battery box.       Surprisingly strong and I put a 4" hole in it for the vent fan. and 2 screened holes in it  to allow fresh air in.       I later moved the box outside to use it as an outside storage box.     With the air vent holes it occasionally gets a bit of water in it which doesn't evaporate out well.       I ended up drilling a few 1/2" holes in the bottom (lowest corner).
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

9mmMike

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 12:15:40 AM »
Yes, I figured that might happen, plan on drilling some holes in it. Already have the vent fn just need to mount it and add the vents.

9mmMike

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »
Got the array cradle finished,mounted the axel supports. Ground the ends of the 8 foot 2 inch diameter axel to fit into the 2 inch ID bearings. Turned out the 1.5 inch ID pipe that was supposed to be 1.9 inches OD was 2.1 OD. Mounted the turn table on the platform. Need to get some large washers to mount the bearings on the axel supports. Should be ready to mount the actual panels by the end of the week. Still need to build the rest of the battery connectors and mount solar cooling fan and vent in the battery box as well as mount and wire up the charge controller and inverter.

9mmMike

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »
Just about done, waiting for some 10 foot cables to hook to the charge controller. Painted the battery box silver so it not heat up as much in the sun.

John Galt 1

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
Just about done, waiting for some 10 foot cables to hook to the charge controller. Painted the battery box silver so it not heat up as much in the sun.

Yea, those MC4 cables are expensive.       Be sure to have your charge controller powered up before you hook those panels in, if not you may fry the controller if you're using a MPPT type controller.

I know you're suppost to cover your panels before hooking the Pos wire in the combiner box to minimize the risk of getting shocked but I added 3 panels yesterday and was too lazy to climb on the roof to cover the panels so I was VERY careful with the hot wire.      At 124v it's not like my other strings but still high enough that I didn't want to get shocked.       All working well and I'm loving the additional amps.      Those 3 panels are facing WSW extending my solar day by an additional hour or two which minimizes battery cycling somewhat.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 08:30:41 PM »
I do that also.  Wire up 300VDC hot.  I also use ESE, S & WSW arrays to get the longest solar day possible.  Solar is addictive.  My neighbor just got his grid tied system up and connected last week.  He called yesterday and wants a separate off grid system now.  I am getting ready to order the 325Watt 72 cell panels tomorrow.

John Galt 1

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
I've got some slightly larger batteries (Rolls 6 CS-27P) coming in to replace my tired batteries.       Since I now have a teenager here who loves to burn the after sundown electricity I'm just adding solar to try to protect those batteries.       I've got anouther 3 panels I plan to mount in a more easterly direction someday but plan to run them through the same controller as the new SW facing panels.

I can get away with using the same controller because that Conext 60-150 communicates with the primary controller (Conext 80-600) so they will coordinate absorb, float, ect.

I've warned everybody in the house that the "Energy-Nazi" is on the warpath and after dark loads will be curtailed.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal