Author Topic: Neighborhood devastation  (Read 2221 times)

Lilburner

Neighborhood devastation
« on: June 03, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
So. It's been a rough couple of days!

If you've been watching the news, at least two of the local TV stations broadcast their remote "Oh God we're all going to die" storm segment from my street.

This was two houses cattycornered to me.

This was about 6 houses down - probably a different angle of the same one you saw on the news. This one fell across the street, yanking lines from like 10 power poles away, breaking some, before striking the house fully across the street.

Then multiply that by about 100 for the neighborhood - then double it for the neighborhood across the main county road, which was also impassable for 18 hours or so.

We've really gotten walloped twice in a year. First with Irma, and now this which is worse. The recovery is going a bit faster with this one, though, because the damage is more concentrated. I came out unscathed except for lack of power, and it was back on within 48 hours. Still no landline internet.

I'm thankful it was no worse for me, and pray for all those affected get the best possible outcome.

Prepwise I've learned to keep a bigger generator here. All I'm worried about on the one hand is the food, but I should also have something to run my backup room air conditioner. While it was tempting to just abandon the house and go to the BOL,  I had to tend the fuel tank to keep the fridge and freezer going. I did run up there last night to sleep - the generator only has to run about half a day.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:28:00 AM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

Re: Neighborhood devastation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »
Thank heavens you’re okay!!!
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Glad the damage bypassed you for the most part.
Ravenwood

bountyhunter

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »
Glad you're safe. But, that is a lot of good firewood!
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
Glad it missed you. You can never tell when something like this can happen.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
NWS has classified it "equivalent" to an ER-1 tornado.

My nextdoor.com is in a tizzy because WSB reported the NWS as saying it WAS a tornado, and apparently that designation alters some people's insurance coverage.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201806041934-KFFC-NOUS42-PNSFFC
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Gauge

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:29:34 AM »
Glad to hear it missed you and thanks for posting the things you learned from it.
Stay Humble.

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
Yes, I agree. Times like that are good learning experiences. I’ve never thought to run my generator to see how long It will run on one full tank of gas.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
My impromptu math up there accounted for 400 trees. Latest word is 800-900. I went to Publix last night, a way I don't normally go, and there was a power line down in the main subdivision road with cones around it, bisecting the road widthwise. So it's still going. I have internet this morning, so I'm whole after 84 hours except for cleanup.

This whole storm lasted like 10 minutes. All the devastation happened in 1-2. There was no warning. It really goes to show you how badly things can go wrong very quickly.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/local/national-weather-services-says-winds-during-friday-s-storm-in/article_f010b046-9d61-5f54-8f6f-f6147fcf4faf.html
~ Daniel Webster

Searchboss

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
Glad to hear that you are back to normal. Three years ago we had a tornado caused by a severe thunderstorm go through town about two blocks from my house. Like yours, it did massive damage in a defined area along its path. Several homes were destroyed and many trees were downed in several neighborhoods. It took several months before all the downed trees and debris was finally cleared out. A couple of houses are still empty awaiting repair/replacement today. Some people lost power for 10 days or so. We lost power for four days, and cable TV & internet for 11 days at my house. It was indeed a "learning experience". I learned that even though I thought I was prepared for an event like that, the reality is quite a different experience. I am still prepping for the next one. The pictures tell the story better than words. Stay safe!

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Had a short hard (maybe 2 minutes) sheer wind here on Friday.     Several trees down in the area with one getting my house, I liked that apple tree... R.I.P.       The wind chimes on the porch were horizontal with the wind blowing so straight that none of the chimes were touching.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »
Wow. I hope you get repaired in short order! Anything I can do to help, PM me. I'm back and forth. Currently in your neck of the woods.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal