Author Topic: When do you plan to bug out, what finally pulls the trigger?  (Read 4407 times)

Gauge

Obviously situation will always dictate any action. As well depending on what the crisis or disaster is. That being said, i wanted to see what yall had in mind as the finally straw that will make you bug out. I see a immediate disaster making it easier than a slow burning disaster. What are yalls thoughts?
Stay Humble.

BennyMG1

Re: When do you plan to bug out, what finally pulls the trigger?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
As you mentioned, it really depends on the situation. Early reports of the formation of the golden hoard will be enough for me.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
Frankly I think the slow moving disaster would be easier. You could double check and weigh all your plans and options. The immediate would be just grab what you can carry - a bag, a carload whatever, and hope nothings blocking your path.

Of course I have contingencies for either, and everything in between. Best case is when your situational awsreness goes off esrly so you can be the first one out of dodge.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
A good prepper has prepped for any situation. I have made several plans, some of which i've already been able to test thanks to situations beyond my control. 

As for the trigger, everyone's is different, and you are the only one who can decide what yours will be.  ;)
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

ChristianJ

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:48:41 PM »
I live at my bugout location.
Christian pastor & theologian

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:21:57 AM »
Were self sustained where we are on the homestead. But when will i abandon this place? When the state outlaws homeschooling and my kids are in jeopardy. A military force invades or the hordes become to thick to handle. We will head to the least ravaged place left, i have family north and west.

I live in the historic cove up here in walker county, Purdue Chicken is looking at putting the largest meat processing plant on the coast a few miles up the road in 2021 on the old barly plants. That will likly be my q to move.
Psalms 127:3-5

Amish

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
Depends on the situation of coarse but a early warning sign for me will be any disruption in the supply chain distribution channel. If trucks are not moving or having trouble, food shortages will be sure to follow quickly behind. Being ahead of civil unrest will be key for my bug out.

ProGeek

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »
I plan to bug-in on the homestead.  We already moved out of the city.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Gunner

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 01:54:52 AM »
I am situated pretty good... It would take some event to compromise the structural integrity of the house to make us go to a bug out mode.  we have the well, generator, fuel, storage bldgs., and small garden area for the two of us.... so a loss of one single thing other than the house isn't enough to make us leave. 
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Fixit

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
Being 5 miles back on a logging road i am the bugout location .

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
Older thread I know but... I think the OP was asking about what would make you gather together at your bug out location.      Call the family together.

First signs of a pandemic.
Strong immediate nuclear threat.

For people who live in a dense urban environment any potenialy large social unrest with looting.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Gunner

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 03:47:33 AM »
Just re-read this thread, I was thinking about a conversation I had with my son a few weeks ago.  Id like to have all my kids move closer to here.  Id also like them to do a little more in the prepping sense.... since they have gotten a little complacent over the last 12-18 months.  Its important to have family near by, and have workable plans to continue when the SHTF... I cant do everything alone and it would be cool to have trustable people around.... But they need to be prepared to help me, and still be prepared to help themselves.  Its a tough place to be … holding down the anchor point for the family and yet having a requirement to bug out myself.  This is a good thread... i'll bet more people need to update their plans to accommodate what has happened in the world in the past 4-6 months.... I think that a new crisis is coming over the horizon that none of are ready for!
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 07:06:09 AM »
The situation is fluid here at the homestead, in the most ideal of cases we stay here. But that dosent awnswer the question. So when do we bug out, i will pack up the sub and hit the road when the local risk becomes a threat to the family. Im prepared for a total loss of the system, however a broken corrupted system can be harder to survive.

I grew up in upstate NY, and it was allot like here in the mountains. Slowly though the laws and ordinances were taken over and mirrored to that of the cities. Taxes went up, freedom went down and local government become more bureaucratic. I worry less about the golden horde than i do the system. If you all recall the Governers race this year we may not be far behind. Atlanta is a powerhouse. One day you wake up, life goes on you have bills to pay and a family to raise but now your a door nock away from a dozen felony charges. That Ar-15 has a bayonet lug, a30 rnd mag, o you have a pistol did you ask NY for permission , did you ask the state to homeschool your kids? They belong to the collective community now. Need money? turn your neighbors in for a gift card (this is what finally made my Mom leave NY). I vote every chance i get and try to hit the important town hall meetings and you should to because everything i just wrote above happened in short order up there. I guess this is going off topic sorry.

I find the above the most likely scenario but i would leave if we were a hotspot for a pandemic, a nuclear reactor had a meltdown anywhere near here. What has changed for me in the last 4-6 months, i would say theres a foreboding scence of urgency to get my finaces in order, square away some debts. Watching my coworkers get walked out for the layoff was a sobering moment on the fragility of it all.
Psalms 127:3-5

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
I have a breakfast meeting (men) every Saturday morning.  This morning one of the guys said that this past week two different people told him to buy garden seeds and plant a garden that he was going t need it before the year was out.
Right now I am the only one of the fifteen that plants a garden.  Recent years have seen my garden grow and I can & freeze more to the point of having excess.  So when I hear stuff like this from the general public I just increase the size of my garden.

Searchboss

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »
I agree with HogJowlHomestead about the “corrupted system” being the most likely insidious threat. Unfortunately it is the one that many people do not see coming until it is too late. It is also the hardest to fight individually.

I have given this subject (a bug out trigger) a LOT of thought over the last year and I sadly do not yet have a hard answer to the question, which is frustrating. Like most things in life, the answer is “it depends”. Every scenario and situation is different and may require a different response. Like most of us, my most desirable primary plan would be to bug in at home where most of my supplies are kept, if that is feasible. My home location in a suburb is far from ideal, but the reality is that is where we are, for now.

I am pretty sure that a successful bugout would need to happen earlier rather than later. Unfortunately people tend to want to wait until the last moment before making a decision on most things. I don’t want to be one of them if I can help it. When I wrote a draft bug out plan that included detailed routes, I noted that many of them cross rivers, intersections, or bridges that would be easy to block. They go through small towns that could potentially close the only paved road available, etc. All of this would either prevent or greatly lengthen the trip to a BOL. These types of things have to be considered. Having to walk to the BOL adds an entirely different set of problems that could impact the decision as to when to bug out.

I think the most likely scenarios that might cause me to bug out, if I could, would be a pandemic, a long-term regional/national power outage, civil unrest in the local area, or a WORL situation. I am still working on my decision points.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal