Author Topic: Does coffee packaging make a difference to longevity?  (Read 2496 times)

Lilburner

Does coffee packaging make a difference to longevity?
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »
I was at Publix last night and the small things of Maxwell house were on BOGO. But they were two kinds of packaging for the same coffee and with a .40 price difference.

Both Columbian, both 10.5 oz. The can was .40 since cheaper before BOGO

My first thought was to grab the can because then I'd have a can, but it's one of those newfangled paper cans that aren't that great.

I'm curious if the kind in the foil might last longer because of oxygen absorption.

Anyone ever looked into this?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

Re: Does coffee packaging make a difference to longevity?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »
I don’t know, but I would speculate that the vacuum seal would help it to last longer. From what I’ve read, coffee is one of those things that does not keep well unless you have the dried plain beans and then roast them when you are ready. I generally just keep 12 cans and continually rotate my stock. I guess if SHTF coffee will be one of the first things I clear off the shelf at the market.... if that opportunity presents.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:46:22 PM »
I have stored both on a shelf.   Most of the bricks did not keep their seal after 3 years, even without moving them but I've never had a can not retain the vacuum.  I have a bit more stored than Benny and am working on ex-dates that are 3 yrs old - the cans still taste great, I quit buying the bricks.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
Interesting.

I'd have thought the brick.

I went back tonight for the last day of the sale and got 8 cans.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
What if we vacuum packed the vacuum packed bricks with the food saver, then sealed those bags in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers and then seal those bags in a CO2 filled five gallon bucket, then bury it in the bottom of the root cellar for temperature control and then dance a magical jig on top? Do you think that would help keep the bricks better?  :o
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Oh, absolutely!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RevJammer

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
My normal coffee is Folgers Instant Crystals, so obviously I'm not a coffee snob.  I have opened and used some that was 4 years out of date... couldn't tell a difference.

RJ

jimLE

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
I prefer ground coffee when it comes to my electric coffee maker..but use instant when it comes to my percolator. In which i do need to stock up on both..i never really trusted the foil packaging. But yet i believe the vacuum sealer n bags should work ..
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

elandil

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
quick note on coffee.

The flavor we extract from coffee comes from the oils in the beans. When we grind the beans we are able to get at the oils. The finer the grind, the more we can extract.

Suprisingly, the darker the roast, the deeper the flavor....but with less caffeine. Roasting actually breaks down the caffeine molecules, and the darker the roast, the less caffeine content. Thats why you get more caffeine from a cup of breakfast roast (light-medium roast) than you do from a pulled doppio shot of espresso (very dark roast, fine grind).

Storage of beans is one thing that people have a lot of trouble agreeing on. Like tobacco,(another item that gets flavoring from oils) storing in a cool place can keep the items from going rancid and prolong life and flavor. However, storing in a frozen place can do more damage than good. getting below the freezing point can not only cause chemical changes in the oils and the flavonoids in the oils, but any existing moisture can cause micro-crystalline fractures in the goods, when the moisture turns to ice. This leads to breakdown in the items and loss of flavor. Short term freezing normally doesn't do much damage and can prolong life, long term freezing can do damage, plus the fact that oils are little magnets for floating flavors/smells/odors in the freezer (they do exist, even if you don't notice them...don't believe me...place some oil in an ice tray or shallow bowl in the freezer for a month....let it defrost and smell it afterwards..)

If you look back into olden times(civil war and before), a lot of travelers and soldiers would carry green beans, and roast them in the field before grinding and brewing. Keeping beans whole and grinding as needed has been a long popular way among coffee aficionado's to ensure the best flavors, and it does work because once ground the oils are exposed and start the breakdown process.

But, the most popular method among the military since WWII is Freeze Dried. Freeze dried has been featured in almost all rations since C-rations were introduced. Mountain House has proven that Freeze Dried foods, as long as they are kept sealed and dry, can retain flavor for at least 30 years.

One of the best cups of coffee I have had was a Coffee, Type 1 out of a 38 year old Meal, Combat Individual. Other reviewers have had FD coffee from as far back as Korea, that has been absolutely fine. Plus, all you need for FD coffee is water. No roasting, no brewing, no grinding....just add to water, add cream or sweetener, and enjoy.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal