Author Topic: Interesting electronic pest control - rodents/insects.  (Read 2209 times)

Lilburner

Interesting electronic pest control - rodents/insects.
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »
I get mice up at the BOL. I put out poison once, but a mouse decided to die right smack in the middle of my living room floor. I kept thinking of all the equally inappropriate yet not NEARLY as conspicuous places a mouse might expire, and it kind of got me off poison.

I have traps, but never set them because either the cat's around, or I'm in a hurry, or I'm about to leave and I don't want the mouse in a week. Just never seems like the time to set traps.

I've been cleaning out my basement and found something I don't remember picking up at a thrift store for a couple bucks.

It has settings for "insects", "rodents", and "insects & rodents", then "quiet" "medium", and "loud"

It's NOT ultrasonic - at least not in the loud and medium modes. they advertise it for boats, sheds, barns, etc. Not really houses. The loud is pretty loud - not painful, but not something you'd want to listen to. The medium you could cover up with TV or music or not hear a couple rooms away. Since my interest is mostly in keeping mice away when it's unattended.I cranked it up to loud and left. I'm curious to see if there are any sign of rodents when I get back. I'll update the tread.

They're actually kind of expensive. But it might be something to look for at thrift stores, flea markets, etc., or invest in if you have a particularly bad problem.

Anyone ever heard of this kind of repeller?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: Interesting electronic pest control - rodents/insects.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Let us know how it worked next time you're up there.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »
Here's the test. A dollop of peanut butter with a cat food garnish right in the middle of rodent central.

The machine is in the same room and set to high. I might follow up with other tests if this one works well.

Should have a result on Sunday.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »
I'll check in,,,   want to see the results.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
We went over this type of deterrent in our Master Gardening class for any kind of pest.  It has no effect and is a waste of money.  Sorry.  Your cat and traps are your best bet after plugging all entrances.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:03:20 AM »
Eagerly awaiting your study results. LOL
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
Well that settles that.

It was sitting about four feet away with the thing going full blast. I'm out like two bucks, but these things sell for up to $100 and B&D is a pretty well-respected company. I don't see how it's even legal to sell something like that.

Maybe it constipates them. They usually crap wherever they eat, but there's no poop in sight.

~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:25:25 PM »
Maybe it was a deaf mouse. 😳
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal