Author Topic: Baofeng Problems  (Read 2497 times)

tlwagg

Baofeng Problems
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
Pulled out my Baofeng to reprogram it for Field Day which went fine but it's not transmitting or reviving. I reprogrammed two radios and only one isn't working. Is it time to buy a new one or can it be saved?
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

bountyhunter

Re: Baofeng Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
Buy a better radio. I have 3 BAOFENGs and out of 3 one wont receive and the other wont transmit. Only one still actually works. Several of my friends are in the same boat. Being that the BAOFENG is an inexpensive radio, buy you a new one if you like them. I was using mine until they quit working correctly. What I found out was I used them on my 4wheeler that shook them and probably dislodged some soldered joints I suppose. Everyone I have talked to said throw it away and buy a new one or a better radio. Just my .02.......I know that there will be some differences in opinion here....like I am wrong.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

tlwagg

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
I have a Icom ID-51A but want another Baofeng to take places I don't want to use the Icom at. We are helping with the Boy Scout Radio Merit Badge and don't want to let the Boy Scout's use the Icom's. Too many things can happen when you have a dozen young boys using the radios. I would rather have drop a Baofeng than my good radio.

bountyhunter

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
Understandable. Just give them the BAOFENG and YOU keep your ICOM. That's what I would do. BAOFENGs are the "loaner" radios while the good stuff stays in my possession.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
That's what were thinking. ;)

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
Did you read back from the radio to verify the data?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »
Some general troubleshooting tips in no particular order.

Always use FTDI cables.

Always read from every radio, even if you just programmed another "identical" radio. Don't use "save" and "open" in chirp. Only ever export a CSV, read the next radio, and import the CSV.

Check the settings manually in Menu mode.

Read the radio back to make sure the data didn't hiccup.

Check two radios together in simplex.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
I tried everything but checking the settings manually in Menu mode. What do I need to check?

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
Mostly the offset and tone (or lack thereof in the case of simplex)
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:16:13 PM »
Lilburner which Baofeng should I get? Is there a new one or should I get the old UV-5?

Lilburner

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:33:43 PM »
My favorite is the UV-82, but the UV5R is still the standard.

There are so many now - triband, high power etc.

If you're in a hurry, they have them on the shelf at TruPrep for pretty much the Amazon price on any given day.

~ Daniel Webster

aces

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
I use my Baofengs every weekend and they have held up over 4 years since my expensive Yaesu took a powder fresh out of the box and even after going back to the factory.  Both the UV5R and the UV82HP (8 watt version) have been my standby models.  I just bought the BF-F8 (7 watt output) over the 4-5 watt of the UV5R, but it has the same body and battery shape so my extra batteries for the UV5R will fit.

I agree these are inexpensive, loaners, backups, etc.
But they are pretty durable if not abused, batteries treated right, programming setups good like any HT!

TLWagg, glad to help out although Lilburner has more programming expertise than I do.

Trying to learn to use my Kenwood I bought last winter, but have not had time to read the whole manual.
Baofeng was easy to learn from YouTube videos  :)

Saving up to get an ID-51 for Christmas!

tlwagg

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »
I ordered the UV-82 this morning after sleeping on it to be sure, it should be here by 9pm. I messed with the UV-5R most of yesterday afternoon and then again last night. I went through the settings twice! Went back through them today and now the dumb thing works! Oh well, I guess I can use another radio.

Just remember if you want something to work just buy a new one.

aces

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
It is a little too easy to hit the A/B button on Baofengs.  So if you have different frequencies on line 1 and 2 in the display, you may not realize because the indicator arrow is small.  I set both VFOs to the same frequency for nets and events.  I don't like licking the keyboard, but that might help in some situations.

The 82 has the zero in the right place like a landline phone.  But the battery contacts on the back are more prominent if you don't have an extended battery so I recommend getting one and watching out and not touching them while transmitting.  Burns!

The 82 battery is a little harder to put on and take off.  Push clips on the sides.  But I like it's charger so much that I use it as a stand sometimes (but u plugged).  It has more of a commercial radio body and screen is a little easier to read.  Its duck is not useless if it comes with the V85 antenna.

Glad to help further.

tlwagg

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
Turns out I didn't order the 82 I ordered the BF-F9 V2+  it's and 8 Watt radio too. Have any of you used this one? Also it didn't come yesterday as promised, they say it may come tomorrow now. I'm trying to decide if I should cancel the order now that the other one is working.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal