Author Topic: Advice needed on BOB  (Read 411 times)

BennyMG1

Advice needed on BOB
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »
Iíve been absolutely sold on Sandpiper of California bags for about two years now. My everyday bag has become my get home bag. I carry it everywhere I go daily and it weighs in at about 28 pounds. Iím now wanting to put separate get home bags together for four vehicles. Buying four new 3 Day Pass SOC bags is cost prohibitive. Can anyone give me some recommendations of brands of similarly sized and quality backpacks at a reasonable price. The SOC Three Day Pass bags run around $55 to $75 each depending on color and whether or not you get a mil spec.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Country Singer

• Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
  • Comms Dude
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
    • From Dirt Level
Re: Advice needed on BOB
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
If you don't mind the old Army ACU pattern, it looks like Amazon is offloading them for $19.31

Sometimes you can catch Yukon Outfitters packs on Woot.com for a good price, I've been impressed with their packs/bags.
ďOur country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.Ē

BennyMG1

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
Thanks Countrysinger !!!! A great deal on a pack I already know and trust. Placed my order five minutes ago

SS-Preppers

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »
That is a heck of a good price on that SOG.....I think I'm gonna have to jump on that deal.....thanks for the heads-up.....good looking out.

WeepingAngel

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:06:09 PM »
Sometimes you can catch Yukon Outfitters packs on Woot.com for a good price, I've been impressed with their packs/bags.

I have one of their sling packs.  It won't be mistaken for a Goruck product, but it's pretty solid (better than Condor, et al)

I paid way more than $20 for the SOC pack listed back when ACU was still the issued uniform; it served well across the board and took quite a bit of abuse - would be taking quite a bit more if it wasn't an abortion of a camo pattern.

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »
That is a heck of a good price on that SOG.....I think I'm gonna have to jump on that deal.....thanks for the heads-up.....good looking out.

These are the SOC backpacks and not the SOG brand. Not sure if it makes difference to you or not.

BennyMG1

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Let me add this. If you bought a Sandpiper of California backpack in the ACU pattern from the uniform shop on base, it's more than likely made of the 1000 Denier fabric to meet MIL SPEC standards and you likely paid a pretty penny for it. I looked up the model number listed in the listing on Amazon. These packs are the 600 Denier fabric. I currently have a 600 Denier Three Day Pass pack in Camel color and it has held up to my lugging around approximately 28 pounds of stuff daily for about a year now AND most often just slinging one strap over my shoulder and it has help up beautifully. I don't usually do anything identical to military out of respect, but considering that this pattern is being retired and its TWENTY BUCKS, how can I pass it up??? Mine will be here Friday.

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:25 PM »
Got my SOC three day pass backpacks today. I had been afraid they would come and there would be some hitch. Nope, they are the real deal. Iíll be switching out my get home bag some time this weekend. That was a great deal. I almost wish Iíd bought a few more. I bought three with this purchase. Gave one to Rascal. Itís always good to have a backup.

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
I ended up ordering a few of the Sandpiper Three Day Pass packs. It was such a good deal, I thought I made fit order a few more. Sadly, the deal has dried up. Thanks Countrysinger for the heads upon that.