Author Topic: Emergency level & go bag hydration.  (Read 1512 times)

Lilburner

Emergency level & go bag hydration.
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
As I noted on the roll call post for this week, I had a bout with heat exhaustion and dehydration on Friday and Saturday.

It was my first real bout with anything so serious. I'd been hot and exhausted before, and of course thirsty, but nothing that going and sitting in the shade and drinking all the water I could drink didn't help. It had never crossed into sickness before, and especially a state of dehydration that couldn't be helped by water.

As is my way, I've been prepping and studying and planning with my newfound knowledge. First thing was to go to the grocery store and get a LOT of sports drinks and PediaLyte. I got Powerade bottles and gatorade mix.

That's fine for home, but the bulk of carrying liquid would be problematic for day to day. I did some research and found out that apparently dehydration is kind of a big problem in the world and that there's a WHO standard for hydration.

I found these packets on Amazon

WHO Approved NEW Reduced Osmolarity Oral Rehydration Salts
Electrolyte Replacement During Intense Physical Activity.
Great Addition to your Medical First Aid Kit or Hiking Kit,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG8G9U2/?tag=sepn-20

Apparently they don't "taste great" - absolutely not a factor to me as what's effectively first aid.

Country Singer showed me these, that might be better for day to day portable hydration where taste would be a factor. They're sugar free, but sweetened with Stevia, which from what I can tell, "isn't bad for you"

https://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Replenisher-Electrolyte-Hydration-Stickpacks/dp/B01EGP1KYY?tag=sepn-20

I'm going to get both

Anyone else have experience in hydration powders/salts/tablets etc., or can the medical people weigh in?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

Re: Emergency level & go bag hydration.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
We are beginning to see more and more cases of heat related illness in the ER. We had three today all on day shift. I’ll make one comment and leave it at that. Dehydration is best treated BEFORE you get dehydrated. You should increase your fluid intake for at LEAST four hours before activity that could cause heat related fluid loss and then keep the fluids going in while you’re working. If you are taking frequent pee breaks while working, you are on the right track. Luckily today we only had patients with dehydration. It can progress and be much much worse. I normally don’t recommend sports drinks due to the sodium content, but under the current conditions I say go for it!!! All three patients today had low sodium levels. Potassium was all normal so good there. Plan and Prevent is much better than treat when you get there.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »
I have had a couple of instances of heat stress.  The first was in Taiwan in the 60's.  I was on R&R and checked into a hotel.  I took a long hot bath.  After all I had been in the field 10 months with just a dribble of shower water.  Well I got over heated, but did not know it.  Since I was in the hotel room by myself, I laid across the bed nude to cool off and went to sleep.  Don't know how long, maybe 30 min or so.  When I woke up I was shivering.  I got dressed and went down stairs & next door to a bar.  Mamason fixed me a coffee brandy.  Then I went to a resteurant and had dinner which was mostly oriental soup.  I never recognized the symptoms of heat stress.
Again over 10 years ago I was working a shutdown in Lufkin, Tx.  Tripple digit temps.  I was working outside replacing someone else that had problems with the heat.  When I came in to AC and took a sip of water, I started to shiver.  Then I got diarea and started to feel weak.  I was due to go home in the morning but told them I was sick and was leaving early.  I got a cold bottle of water and while driving to Houston, sipped on it untill it was gone.  I checked into a new hotel by the George Bush International for the night as my flight home was in the morning.  Wouldn't you know it, there was a malfunction and all I had was cold water for my bath.  I was not happy but toughed it out.  I still did not know what the problem was but it appears my guardian Angel was taking care of me again. 
I now recognize the symptoms to be heat related......and try to take better care.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:57:36 AM by RWS »

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
I like the squincher ice pops. Theres alot less sugar than gator aid.

Sqwincher 159200208 3 oz. Sqweeze Electrolyte Freezer Pop, Assorted Flavors (Pack of... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07571Z81C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_Is8kBb7X5ZGYA

In 08 i was in air assault school at Ft Cambell. At 0230 we started a 12 miled ruck it was 98 degrees and 100% humidity when we started. around the nine mile marker my legs seized and i fell over. I got back up and did maybe another quarter mile peg legging it. I dont remeber much else i woke up against a wall with two IV’s in my arm. Since that time my tolerance for heat has greatly dimished but i am acutely aware of when my body gets hot. Cold flushes, Chills and lack of sweat are signs your headed over the cliff.

Its never happened since, BennyMG1 has it pegged dont get there in the first place. I consumed over a gallon of water on that march refilling at every water station and it was to late.

Be safe :)
Psalms 127:3-5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal