Author Topic: New device turns organic waste into cooking gas and fertilizer.  (Read 1986 times)

Lilburner

It's a system you fill with water in, dump food scraps into, and it makes cooking gas and liquid fertilizer. The ordering page ways animal manure as well. I'm curious about grass clippings.

First, I ran across the video. At the time it was made, it was still awaiting production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=xKOG7lb48bI

Now it's being produced, and is available for order at a discounted price of $650

https://homebiogas.com/shop/buy-the-homebiogas-system

I'm definitely intrigued - I'd love for other people to help research it. $650 is a fair chunk, but the results would be literally priceless if it delivers.

Apparently it works better in warmth. So it could possibly be a good complement to a wood stove for summer and winter cooking.

Everything I know is contained in the two sources linked. I have so many other questions. It says the gas is stored in the top compartment. So you have to run a tube into your house for cooking? I don't get that part. I'm also curious if it could run other things, like a generator.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: New device turns organic waste into cooking gas and fertilizer.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
I just asked these questions on Twitter

If the gas is stored exclusively in the top chamber and not offloaded into containers, you have to run a hose into the house to cook?

Also, can it do other things? run a generator?

Do you have to clean the digester?

Lastly - how about grass clippings?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
You can still buy on their indiegogo page for $590, although the project is 650% funded at this point.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/homebiogas-2-0-transform-food-waste-into-energy#/

ETA: This is apparently shipped, where the $650 price is $699 shipped.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:56:36 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

cope

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:33:47 PM »
I know this is an old post but I haven't been on here in a while. Looks overpriced. and its fabric or whatever of some type. I wonder how well it will hold up to Georgia sun in the summer time? Stuff like that tends to break down uv wise pretty fast in Georgia sun even if it is uv resistant. Also looks like you could poke a hole in it if not careful or animals could possibly tear through it to get to the food inside.

Biogas has been around for a long time and there are better things than this.
Think Plastic 55 gallon drums, or ibc totes. I have seen several biogas home made things online by googling those that look better and cheaper in my opinion.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
I have a design for one of these in a Homesteading book made iut of a oil tank and 55g drum. Looks fairly simple. gas is release out of the large oil tank to the 55g barrel. it bubbles to the top under a giant funnel. the top of the funnel feeds a hose with a shut of valve. Pushing the funnel into the water increases the pressure when filling tanks.

Psalms 127:3-5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal