Author Topic: Would like input from as many as possible.  (Read 2672 times)

BennyMG1

Would like input from as many as possible.
« on: July 13, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »
So I'm trying to come up with something good for the auction at the fall campout. My thought is to put together a comprehensive TRAUMA bag. Another member has agreed to help me put the bag together.

I've researched some of the best...or rather most expensive...commercial trauma bags on the market, spoken to several paramedics and drawn from my six years on the ambulance and 21 years as an ER nurse and think I've come up with some pretty good ideas for a trauma bag.

So here's the thing. I know that most of the people that come to the campouts are already pretty well set for medical and so don't know if there would end up being a big demand for a separate "trauma bag". The cost to put this together will be something to consider and if bidding didn't go high enough, I'd rather just make a cash donation. I've been in touch with Lilburner about this which is why I'm appealing to members for thoughts.

Is this something y'all would be interested in bidding on at the auction?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:31:47 AM by BennyMG1 »
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Ravenwood1950

Re: Would like input from as many as possible.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
I would just buy a trauma bag from you if it was set to go. You can never have enough medical supplies.
Ravenwood

bountyhunter

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »
Have to agree with Ravenwood. Most everyone here is medical set. But, it doesn't hurt to have more supplies in the event of an event. But, getting one from someone you know and trust is better than what you can buy online. Not saying that some of the ones online are not good but they are generic. But, if you can get one tailored to the issues we have here in the Southeast like snakebite, spider bite, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets etc is much more desirable in my eyes. Just my opinion.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Another route that you might consider (based on price points) is either in addition to, or in lieu of, a trauma bag, devising a really good IFAK similar to what the military issues (but with better contents) for those wanting something a little more compact to go in a BOB or to attach to field gear.

Here's some examples:
USGI IFAK Details
Chinook Medical
Skinny Medic
AMP-3
Doom and Bloom
Note that most of them have variations on a theme, so it's worth looking at their other offerings for comparison.  Having said that, it seems that every one seems to be too heavily or too lightly focused on certain aspects.  To echo bountyhunter, I've never seen an IFAK come stock with anything for venom/poisons from reptiles and insects.

Here's an article about just the empty pouches.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Searchboss

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
BennyMG1, your question “Is this something y'all would be interested in bidding on at the auction?” regarding your idea of building a “comprehensive TRAUMA bag” is the crux of your post.

Like others, I would be more interested in obtaining one from someone I know as compared to buying one from a catalog. However, I think you would get a better response if you could provide more details such as a sample list of equipment/supplies you intend to include as well as a ballpark price point. I realize that this does not fit with the “auction” idea, but a well-stocked trauma kit is expensive and therefore may limit the number of people that are able/willing to bid on it at the campout, and you do need to recover your costs. As a secondary idea within this topic; perhaps you might want to build a trauma bag and offer it for sale at the campout, or perhaps take orders and collect money at the campout?

Regardless, building a comprehensive trauma bag is an excellent idea. Please keep the topic going…

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »
Great post Seachboss. My goal was to a see if there was enough interest for me to take the  time to get one together. I would be donating it for the auction. I think what I was mainly getting at is, if the kit wouldn't bring more than it cost to put together, I would just donate the cash I would have spent to the cause. Myself and the other member helping me with this are able to obtain most of what is needed at discounted prices. Maybe it would be better for me to do a presentation at the campout about what I would have in a trauma bag and let the individuals take that information to build their own kits.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
^^^THIS!  That would be awesome!   Maybe a printed list us medical dummies could take home and compare to what we already have?  This is a field I am nearly clueless in, yes, I'm learning herbal stuff and yes, I have some trauma things but this is an area where I want to be stocked even if I don't know how to use it all...…...because maybe a neighbor or 'guest' will.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
It would also be nice if we were able to do a group buy on things that might be impossible for ordinary folks to have access to. Just an idea.
Ravenwood

ChristianJ

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
I am not medically set.

I don't have the knowledge to know what to buy (beyond basic first aid kits and medicine that I have). I also really don't have the time to invest in the subject area at the moment. But if someone put together a good kit, I'd probably buy it for when I can devote time to it.
Christian pastor & theologian

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 05:43:54 PM »
I suggested a raffle to make sure the value is obtained, instead of the vagaries of an auction format.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »
Unless you only sell 3 tickets...…………..
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
You sell X number of tickets, then hold the drawing. The advantage there is people could sell them outside the site. Friends, family, clubs, etc.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

joboomartin

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »
What about a class where you build your own ifak or trauma kit and learn how to use each component? The materials could be group purchased from a fee for the class. Just another idea.

Farside

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
I'm in for ten tickets, to start.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal