Author Topic: Anyone heard of Moringa? Some sort of miracle plant, apparently.  (Read 2326 times)

Lilburner

This is an interesting read, but I'm growing wary of miracle plants. At one time it was garlic, then acai, then turmeric. This all sounds a little "ambitious"

It is a tree that grows in the southeast, though, and one of the many uses is food. So there's that.

I't supposed to be everything from an antioxidant to improving vision to stabilize blood sugar. , fight inflammation, lower cholesterol - the list goes on.

It's supposed to purify water and give healthy bowel movements. I'm assuming not in the same operation.

Anyone familiar?

The Tree That Every Prepper Should Grow In His Backyard
http://www.askaprepper.com/the-tree-that-every-prepper-should-grow-in-his-backyard/
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: Anyone heard of Moringa? Some sort of miracle plant, apparently.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:28:24 AM »
Lilburner, I know there's some posts on it either here or in the GPN stuff.  Someone in the group is trying to grow it but it hasn't been mentioned in a few years.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »
We buy it in powder form, It really sucks at disolving in water or juices. Like all miracle stuff the benefits are unreadable as far as i can tell.

If anyone on here has used the pods to filter water id really like to know how well it worked also.
Psalms 127:3-5

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »
I grew some in pots in NJ. I tossed fresh leaves into omelettes, salads etc.
I'm not sure if it would overwinter here. it's a tropical, maybe subtropical tree.

I grew one outdoors from seed to see how it would do. it dies back to the ground over winter and sent a new shoot in the spring but it barely grew that second year.

Asia_Off_Grid

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
Moringa grows crazy wild, here in Cambodia. The Khmers use it in meals.
Paul

8greenbeans

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:36:54 AM »
I am currently growing it! This is the first year so it's still a tiny thing. Every year I choose a few new, "exotic" plants to grow. This year morning  made the cut after having been booked the list for many years. I have many reasons for growing it but the two main properties that I'm growing it for are its high protein content and possible water purifying properties. Purifying is the first thing I will experiment with.
PS: one of the reasons it made the cut this year is because I now have a greenhouse to overwinter it
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:49:43 AM by 8greenbeans »

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Nemo

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
Reportedly great food source, grows all over hellenbach, requires little tending and good nutrition.

Nemo

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-benefits-of-moringa-oleifera

https://www.kulikulifoods.com/moringa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
Lilburner, I know there's some posts on it either here or in the GPN stuff.  Someone in the group is trying to grow it but it hasn't been mentioned in a few years.
I just ordered a seedling.  Should be here in a week or so.  Maybe it will survive in South Georgia??  or will I need a greenhouse ?

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
I now own a moringa tree.  With the climate getting colder year by year, I may not have it long as I am already on the border.  I put it in a large pot so naturally the wife planted flowers around it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal