Author Topic: Raising rabbits for meat  (Read 4070 times)

John Galt 1

Re: Raising rabbits for meat
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »
This is why I became okay with scaling back to the bare minimum - just enough that we could get it going again in a pinch whether that meant there was less on me and could "do it all" or if shtf and then I had hands to help since there wouldn't be a choice but to help.
THIS makes a lot of sense to me right now both for what you wrote about your situation and also for mine.

I went from 2 pigs, a number of ducks, chickens, and rabbits, down to just chickens and rabbits. And it feels good.

That's pretty much what I was looking to do but instead of scaling back I want to create the ability using very low effort and cost.        That's why I asked about how many sf of dense grass to support a pair.       I would feed hay occasionally during the winter and probably only breed once a year for the learning experience and lean meat.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

8greenbeans

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 05:16:16 PM »
I wish I knew the answer John Galt. There are quite a few rabbit forums that could likely answer the question to satisfaction. Actually, now I'm also interested, even though the area I thought would not be quite enough for 2 goats is actually way too much for 4 goats. So I know if I do a tractor then I'm likely to not need a lot of outside feed.... then the majority of that will be what I intentionally grow for them.

Let me know if you find the answer and I will do the same for you.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
This is why I became okay with scaling back to the bare minimum - just enough that we could get it going again in a pinch whether that meant there was less on me and could "do it all" or if shtf and then I had hands to help since there wouldn't be a choice but to help.
THIS makes a lot of sense to me right now both for what you wrote about your situation and also for mine.

I went from 2 pigs, a number of ducks, chickens, and rabbits, down to just chickens and rabbits. And it feels good.

I was very surprised at how good it felt. I need this wee break. I'm sure you do, too. It also feels good to know that it only takes a short while to build it back up to the numbers we have now.

At first though I felt like a failure. Then I realized, what good is it all if I kill myself in the process? I'm doing and providing for 8 people all by myself (homestead wise that is). If shtf - which is what we prepare for - then I'll have the help of them all which means being able to do more in the long run.

I'm hoping I can be back at it come next spring but if I can't, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

John Galt 1

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »

I was very surprised at how good it felt. I need this wee break. I'm sure you do, too. It also feels good to know that it only takes a short while to build it back up to the numbers we have now.

At first though I felt like a failure. Then I realized, what good is it all if I kill myself in the process? I'm doing and providing for 8 people all by myself (homestead wise that is). If shtf - which is what we prepare for - then I'll have the help of them all which means being able to do more in the long run.

I'm hoping I can be back at it come next spring but if I can't, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

One of my neighbors (family with teenagers so potential helpers) tried to be more self substaining as far as food goes,       After a many years they cut back 90% and only keep a small garden with a few birds.      They keep their fencing and barn in good repair so some ability to spring back quickly if ever needed.       A lot less work and they can focus on enjoying life and getting the kids through school; mostly collage at this point.

This is why I made the origional post.        I'm trying to expand our ability to be self sufficient without adding much more long term time requirements.       Spend a few days fencing, water, ect and just maintain a breeding pair of bunnies for quick expansion if ever needed.     
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

ChristianJ

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »

One of my neighbors (family with teenagers so potential helpers) tried to be more self substaining as far as food goes,       After a many years they cut back 90% and only keep a small garden with a few birds.      They keep their fencing and barn in good repair so some ability to spring back quickly if ever needed.       A lot less work and they can focus on enjoying life and getting the kids through school; mostly collage at this point.

This is why I made the origional post.        I'm trying to expand our ability to be self sufficient without adding much more long term time requirements.       Spend a few days fencing, water, ect and just maintain a breeding pair of bunnies for quick expansion if ever needed.   

The (sad?) reality is that it is just more efficient to make a few extra bucks and buy what you want, hopefully locally, than to setup major operations to be "self-sustainable".
Christian pastor & theologian

Abigayle

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 05:04:54 PM »
It has been awhile since the three of you involved in this discussion, have posted an outcome.  Have you continued to raise rabbits for food?  Now that food prices are up, have you increased your production? May you have decided that it isn't for you.
Thor and I have been discussing it.  I enjoy my chickens and have a difficult time when it comes to the harvest, but we have done it and can do it again.  We are growing some out right now.  In the past, we did some ducks.
Hopefully, those of you that are raising rabbits for food, will get on here and share your pros and cons.
Christian, and 8 Beans, we have not heard from either of you in a while.  Hope this post finds you both doing well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal