Author Topic: 2018 Annual Fall SEPN Fall Campout - October 5-7 @ Cedar Creek WMA  (Read 5523 times)

Lilburner

It's that time again! Mark your calendar!

The Annual Fall Campout - October 5-7 at Cedar Creek WMA. If you wish to arrive on Thursday the 4th, you'll have plenty of company for the extra day. If you can't can't camp with us, come down for the day. Most planned activities will be concentrated on Saturday.

Cedar Creek is located south of Monticello on GA Hwy 212. Our camp site is across from the Check Station (N 30* 13' 45.1 W 83* 31' 36.1) on Checking Station Road. If Googling, google Cedar Creek Check Station or you might get directions to the range which is a different road off 212.

Specifically, here: https://goo.gl/maps/jKXeHv1JbKm The campground is on the opposite side of the gravel road from the Checking Station on the map, and just a hair BEFORE it. The path into the woods is subtle and some would say hard to see, but accommodates the largest of RVs. If you drive fully up TO the Checking Station, you've gone too far. HOPEFULLY there will be a yellow banner out by Thursday afternoon marking the turn.

Watch this thread for more details. As classes, activities, etc. are added, the details will be added to this main post as well.

A quick overview of this years classes and activities, all scheduled for Saturday. 10/6

11:00 - Cast Iron: Care, maintenance, seasoning, etc - by Starlady

13:00 - Home Wine making: Presented by YellowRose (with samples!)

16:00 - Solar: including whole house solar, by John Galt 1 (I was fortunate enough to have been able to tour his home system and it's quite impressive)

19:00 - Auction! If you've been to our campouts before, you know all about this. It's our only fundraiser and it keeps us in the important stuff like internet and toilets. If you're not familiar - bring a donation or two or ten and we'll auction it/them off. And you might pick up a bargain while you're at it.

All day: HF Amateur Radio Hands-on Demo: Get on the air! A good friend and President of a local Amateur radio club will be acting as "Control Station" meaning even unlicensed people can get on the air and learn, and if the conditions are right - who knows? Maybe talk around the world!

Watch this space and this thread for more details!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:47:13 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: 2018 Annual Fall SEPN Fall Campout - October 5-7 @ Cedar Creek WMA
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
RESERVED
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

revckd

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »
 ::) UGH, Got plans already but maybe we can make it later in the afternoon. Anxious to see what time the "solar" will happen, later in the day hopefully?! I will keep watching to see what's happening
revckd
KM4PHQ

Bellatores et Venatores in Christo
A prudent person foresees danger ahead and takes precautions. ~ Proverbs 27:12

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:09:16 AM »
The Commander and I will be there. Probably get in Thursday.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:54:56 PM »
OK! A few changes. some a long time coming, but I get so hammered, and usually away from home and computer - just catching up some.

Looks like Yellowrose has volunteered to do winemaking. We had some criticism last year of too much stuff, and I'll probably still be going 100 mph by the campout, so lets's scrap thee airgun shoot. I've still got a youth air rifle to give away. If one youth comes, it's theirs. If more than one come, I'm sure we can do an impromptu shootout or drawing or something.

The other thing people complained about was doing things every two hours, so lets make it three - 10,1, and 4 with auction at seven.

Someone requested the solar be as late as possible, so if JohnGalt1 is amenable, we can do that at four, leaving 10 and 1. If Starlady has a preference, we'll let her pick due to seniority. Discuss below.

Anything else?

Looking forward to seeing everyone and relaxing a little!
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
If it helps, the cast iron class probably won't be more than 30 minutes or so.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

YellowRose

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
I would prefer the 1:00 slot.  I will probably give out samples from last year's batch, but not if that means handing out alcohol at 10:00 am. 

John Galt 1

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
Four for solar will be fine.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »
OK - how about this.

since Starlady has a short presentation, we move her to 11 so we don't all have to be up at the crack of ten. Yellowrose at 1 for after lunch drinking, and John Galt at 4.

Sound like a plan?
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 06:47:46 PM »
Sounds great to me.  Plenty of time for q&a AND lunch!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

YellowRose

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 08:34:56 PM »
Works for me. 

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
OK - thanks to all the presenters.

The main tweet has been updated with classes and schedules, and important information about finding the campsite if you're a first timer, thusly...

Specifically, here: https://goo.gl/maps/jKXeHv1JbKm The campground is on the opposite side of the gravel road from the Checking Station on the map, and just a hair BEFORE it. The path into the woods is subtle and some would say hard to see, but accommodates the largest of RVs. If you drive fully up TO the Checking Station, you've gone too far. HOPEFULLY there will be a yellow banner out by Thursday afternoon marking the turn.

~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
Can’t wait
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

John Galt 1

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
As some of you may know I'm giving a presentation on solar power.

Does anybody have a question that they want addressed such as how to wire the panels or battery sizing.       I'm trying to keep the presentation to the point but informative but I've seen so many people buy panels and not get well matched equipment for the rest of the system.

Please consider your electrical needs before buying anything.      example...   My fridge is something I want running if the grid is down and requires 1.25 kwhs a day so a 700 watt inverter can run it after the compressor is running but... it requires a huge start up surge to get the compressor started so to start that fridge requires an inverter that can handle a 2000 watt surge for a second while the motor starts up..

Generally something with an electric motor (huge starting surge) is what defines how large of an inverter you need.       For some of us the "defining load" is the well pump.      A 1 hp well pump requires about 1300 watts to run but for the first 1/2 second the well pump needs about 4000 watts to start.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Starlady

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
A bit more detail at the class would be good....like, how do I know if an inverter can handle a surge like the examples you gave?  I didn't see any info on that on my inverter boxes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal