Author Topic: Prepper Camp  (Read 3533 times)

John Galt 1

Prepper Camp
« on: August 27, 2018, 12:24:52 AM »
Just a reminder that Prepper Camp is a 3 day event from 9-28 to 9-30 in Saluda NC.

Close enough to drive up to, get a room, and visit others who share our intrests and learn useful skills.      Maybe a little pickin' and a grinning around a fire in the evenings.        We plan to be there Saturday and Sunday learning lessons that may help us and new ideas to share at the Fall campout at the Cedar Creek gathering the following weekend.

We've never done stuff like this beyond attending a tiny homesteading event in Blue Ridge last year and being very dissappointed by the lack of actual classes in useful subjects we hope that Prepper Camp is more than just a bunch of vendors selling stuff; but it looks to be full of useful siminars.     Look the site up, buy a ticket, learn a few usefull skills and new ideas about practical preparing.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Starlady

Re: Prepper Camp
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
Come to more of our campouts - we have at least 2-3 classes and other events every time, twice a year.

In the past we've done radio, butchering & cleaning a chicken, soap making, canning-both waterbath and pressure, seed saving, seed swaps, etc.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

John Galt 1

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
Usually I'm too busy to join the campouts but I'll at least make an appearance at the Cedar Creek WMA campout.

ProGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
Prepper Camp in Saluda  NC in 2 weeks.  I'm going, anyone else? Want to meet up?
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
I'll be there with my trailer.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
I'm camping in tents there with a friend and his teenage kid. We were just talking about meal plans. 

Is anyone interested in at least one potluck meal?  It looks like it's a campground wide potluck Friday night, so how about Saturday night?  There's not much time to eat, just an hour for all prep, meals, and clean up aside from breakfast, so keep things simple whether you want to share or not.  I wasn't so excited about the food from the vendors last year (although the meal the beekeeper guy served was freaking excellent!).  If that's what you're planning on, maybe bring backup.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

ProGeek

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the food tips. I hadn't planned on taking food, we are staying at a local B&B. I'll reconsider meal plans. When are you guys arriving? Right now we are driving in Friday morning.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

upacreek

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
Well, since I posted so long ago, my plans might be changing.  My kids' great grandfather passed away last night, on his 94th birthday.  We don't know the funeral arrangements yet, but we know it'll be in MA.

I'm hoping my friend and his kid are still going.  If I can't go, maybe he'll be able to convince his wife to go in my place and she'll be hooked after the camp out.  Whoever is going from our group is planning on going up on Thursday.  Friday morning was a pretty easy drive last year.  I made it maybe 15-20 minutes before the first class and the parking was beautifully run.  Bring rain boots if it's forecast.  The place gets muddy.

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 06:06:28 PM »
Wow - I'm at the super hard part.

There are eight classes at a time, and the schedule repeats for three days, so you can only go to 3/8 of the classes (Arrrr arrrr arrrr - punch my man card - instinctively put an inch mark after 3/8 ;D).

I'm hopelessly mired in trying to decide what I'm going to give up! One I've crossed off is "How not to get kidnapped". I don't picture someone looking at me and saying "Think I'll throw him in a van".

Still plodding along. Not good at choosing.

One of the instructors had the same name as our old-timer here, Nemo. Turned out not to be him, though. That would have been fun.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:20:05 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 08:52:01 AM »
Yay!  I'm going to Prepper Camp!  I've got stuff for your tenant, Lilburner.  Please don't let me forget.  Do you guys want to have dinner together Saturday night?  Right now, my friends and I picked out some MRE's.  I'm very anxious having that away from home.  I had 2 on a backpacking trip with Boy Scouts (both Southwest Beef something or other because lactose intolerant people get what you can trade)  Let's just say I believe the Scout Master is a master sadist. 

Let's hear quick options.

Lilburner

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
Pretty much packed up to head to the homestead which works out because it's where I keep my trailer and it's an hour and a half closer.

I think, though, as a continued thing if I keep going, I'd reserve Thursday night as well. Get up at 4-ish, leave at 5:30 to be there by 7 to have two hours to get checked in and set up before the first class.

I'm not really bringing any potluck type fare, but I'd be up for hanging out at dinnertime and whatnot. My camp cooking is generally pretty lazy - usually consisting of various hot dog and sausage type fare with chips or whatever. I did get something a little lazier, though. Publix had BOGO cooked tail-on shrimp. All they have to do is thaw. Now all of my supercooler technology may be working against me, but they're on top, so fingers crossed.

See you there! See the rest of you in two weeks!
~ Daniel Webster

ProGeek

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 10:07:04 PM »
We are staying at a B&B.  I hope we run into you guys tomorrow.

John Galt 1

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 10:21:15 PM »
Because of work we'll only be up on Sunday.

Lilburner

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
Greetings from Prepper Camp.

Day 2 getting underway in an hour or two. Great classes. Learned quite a bit. Bought some companion books to augment what ive learned. Found upacreek and Progeek and got to spend some time together. Hope to see John Galt 1 on Sunday.

I brought protein drinks and double shot espressos for breakfast. After I drank it them, I noticed the protein drink was actually protein coffee. So I'm wide awake and ready for the day.
~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »
Seems like we won't be able to make it this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal